Firebird Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
438 Posts
Try www.jegs.com , www.summitracing.com.

Ivan

· Registered
317 Posts
your going to have fab up your own true duals. There really isnt a kit, especially for your 6. Either make your own, or get lucky and find someone selling theirs and make it fit your 6. I would recomend some pacesetter headers first though.

Reactions: FBN Firebird Nation

· Burrd Man!
2,809 Posts
is there really a purpose in going through to trouble of duels on a 6 cyl? just curious bc even on the v8s unless ur racing, got the money and time or want a diff sound its not really worth the trouble.

· Registered
369 Posts
I would agree. on top of it being useless for a 6 cylinder ( unless you are going turbo) it's going to sound raspy. if your looking for a deep tone just go buy a 350. you might have better luck. if anything just slap on a muffler of your choice. a free flowing exhaust on a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder sounds like complete sh_t in my opinion.

· Registered
149 Posts
you should just get a cat-back system.

for a 6 cyl. i would suggest magnaflow.

ive got a magnaflow cat-back system on my 86 v6 camaro and it sounds nice and deep.

ive heard alot of other exhuasts on v6 3rd gens that sound high pitched and ricer sounding.

· Registered
381 Posts
This is what I did, One note is since I left the engine stock, I put 1 1/4 inch from the CAT to the rear axle then went up to the 1 1/2 Magnaflow the rest of the way. I did this because after running with 1 1/2 all the way it felt like it lost some low end torque on the highway but with the 1 1/4 pipe on there, the torque came back.

Good luck and remember, the exhaust system is very close to the body... Check for clearance so it doesn't touch the body anywhere.

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=104178&view=findpost&p=340805

http://www.firebirdnation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=69370&view=findpost&p=276859

· Administrator
15,958 Posts
As noted in the posts above, you don't need a true dual exhuast. I pushed 800 HP through a Mufflex 4" catback. A buddy of mine used the same system with his 1,125 HP 383ci blown LT1 V8. Most LT1 V8's making 300-350HP are very happy with a 3" catback. Should work just as well with your V6.

· Registered
317 Posts
If you have the time and welding skills, do it. Ive heard several 3.8s with true dual set ups. They all sound better then your standard y-pipe set up.

Everyones bagging you about performance. But if you want a good sounding v6, true duals is the way to go. Is it worth the time and money? no, but allot of stuff people do to their cars isn't, but they still do it. I say go for it, its a good experience taching together your own exhaust set up.

· Registered
5 Posts
you don't need true duels to look like it. get a muffler with duel outlets and get some nice exhaust tips.
I added a dual inlet & outlet muffler to a 95 Firebird base convertible V6 3800. Off of the muffler dual pipes, one to each side of the rear, then dual tips on each side. Looks great, and sounds great. its not too much louder than the stock single pipe but just enough.

· Administrator
15,958 Posts
I added a dual inlet & outlet muffler to a 95 Firebird base convertible V6 3800. Off of the muffler dual pipes, one to each side of the rear, then dual tips on each side. Looks great, and sounds great. its not too much louder than the stock single pipe but just enough.
Just curious. All 4th Gens, V6 and V8, have a Y-pipe into a single intermediate pipe, and a single inlet crossflow muffler. How did you connect a “dual inlet” muffler? Did you convert to headers and true dual intermediate pipes?

PS: Are you also registered here as ”Carm”?

· Registered
5 Posts
Just curious. All 4th Gens, V6 and V8, have a Y-pipe into a single intermediate pipe, and a single inlet crossflow muffler. How did you connect a “dual inlet” muffler? Did you convert to headers and true dual intermediate pipes?

PS: Are you also registered here as ”Carm”?
Sorry meant to say single inlet, double outlet on the muffler. Totally changed the appearance of the back end. Double dual oval tail pipe tips out of the back. Had them put the tips 1“ down from the bumper and 1” in. Because of the slight indentation in the bumper you are able to see the entire tip. Looks fantastic. Increased the sound just a bit, but for me it is perfect. Well worth the three hundred to get them perfectly placed where I wanted them.

· Registered
5 Posts
Sorry meant to say single inlet, double outlet on the muffler. Totally changed the appearance of the back end. Double dual oval tail pipe tips out of the back. Had them put the tips 1“ down from the bumper and 1” in. Because of the slight indentation in the bumper you are able to see the entire tip. Looks fantastic. Increased the sound just a bit, but for me it is perfect. Well worth the three hundred to get them perfectly placed where I wanted them.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Tire Vehicle

1 - 19 of 19 Posts