Firebird Nation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read the archives on header install but have not seen specific info on the 326 header install. My question is do I still need to do a remote oil filter spot for the 326 ? The headers are Doug's and was hoping they would be the simplest install due to there quality. Anyone have experience with the 326 install on a 67 326 ?

·
Registered
596 Posts
should not need to remote it.My question is why headers for your street car?Put the RA manifolds on it,you will be happy in the longrun.JMHO,Tom

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have put headers on all my street/strip cars so I figured why not gain a few extra horse for this car. Plus I love the sound. So far I have installed the driver side . I had to replace motor mounts as the engine was sitting a little low and the header was hitting the motor mount frame bracket. The car will be mostly stock except for the ignition, intake and exhaust . I am not 100% purist and have kept the original parts I have removed. Another question I have is has anyone seen Pontiac put duel factory trac bars on the 326 ?

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Traction bars are std on the 67 as they didnt have staggered shocks and wheel hopped like crazy without the traction bars.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hey Josh,

I'm in the same boat......I dry fitted the headers today and while the drivers side is no problem the passenger side is very, very close to the filter and fuel lines. I also have the 326 but using hooker headers.

I will post a picture in a few mins, my concern is the fuel line...it looks way too close.

The passenger side is a pain, remove your oil filter housing and move the trans lines over and you should be good.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. I thought passenger side was going to be the easiest. Thanks for heads up. I will post my experience when I'm done

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here's a few pictures.....Let me know when you get yours on if your that close to the fuel line. Hopefully won't have to re-route with the header wrap and using a heat sleeve on the lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Real quick question , does you car have the 400 motor mounts ? Mine is nowhere near being able to use the 326 mounts but has the 140 stamped heads. It's throwing me for a loop. The 400 mounts is what fits. Maybe it was a 400 car at factory but I'm just in lala land of what and why it has these mounts. Also I just moched up passenger side and my fuel lines seem to be OK and out of the way.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Interesting on your motor mounts, I ordered new ones from either FB central or classic (can't remember) but when they arrived they were all wrong. They were not even close to working and they were supposedly for the 326.

I wanted the engine bolted up that day so I ran down to O'reilleys auto parts and they had exactly what I needed for like $12.00. I took my old worn out mount to make sure it matched, worked perfect and works great with the headers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SO here are the photos from tonight . Not sure if it helps but wanted to share mine so you have an idea of what my progress is like

here is were my gas line runs near header

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SO here are the photos from tonight . Not sure if it helps but wanted to share mine so you have an idea of what my progress is like

here is were my gas line runs near header
Sorry I uploaded the wrong picture . But my gas line is tucked up against the frame and is out of the way. You should be able to re-route yours with no problem . Good luck and I look foreword to seeing more pics !! Yours is definitely cleaner than mine.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the info, I think I will re-route it like yours...should be much safer and avoid any vapor lock issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts