Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is another seal on the doors that I might be missing, or maybe my current ones are worn out. On the side where the doors latches to the frame there is a ton of wind noise coming in! Its basically like if its opened (not really but the wind noise is loud). And if I put the AC all the way up and close all the doors you can fell all the air coming out from those sides. My doors have a hard plastic on the bottom and then there's a seal that goes all around the door but on the car frame side. I feel like there should be another seal that the last owner probably removed or it wore out and they just removed it instead of replacing. I was going to try some of the home depot window foam seals, but the gap from the door to the frame is pretty large so maybe it goes somewhere else? Before I start layering foam strips to close the gap, lol.

Also while I have some money, which would be a better upgrade for autocrossing: a k-member for weight savings up front, or a watts-link for, what I hear, better cornering? The Watts link is a little more expensive but if its going to help me more I rather go for that than the weight savings.

Thanks for any help guys.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Download the 4th gen parts book for firebird. You should find it in the 4th gen tech section. Or if not there, you can download it at www.ls1lt1.com. Link is in 4th gen section sticky threads.

Section 10 of parts book has weatherstrip diagram and part numbers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I never thought about that!! I'll look into the parts book right now. Hopefully it is missing a piece, which it looks like it because so much air escapes and from the same exact sides on both.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,403 Posts
The only seal attached directly to the door is at the very bottom of the door. It's on the vertical lip that is exposed slightly below the flat bottom of the plastic door. That would appear to be there to block water from coming in through the gap between the bottom of the door and the rocker panel.

I wonder if your door hinges are sagging, or the plastic around them is starting to break, or the outer door skin is beginning to separate from the frame.

With regard to the chassis/suspension mods, I would assume what you can do is limited in some way by "class" rules for the specific racing program you will be competing in. The tubular K-member might be OK, but the Watts linkage (Fays2 or BMR) is a significant change regarding the side-to-side stabilization of the chassis over the rear axle. It would also add weight compared to the stock panhard rod, but at least it's in the rear, improving the front/rear split..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm... Yeah I guess I'll need a new seal around on the frame. I couldn't find any other parts on the parts book.
The driver's door is sagging a little, but the passanger door is fine but both release the same amount of air. I'll look into new seals.
According to the president of the autocross group, I can do basically any mod to the car and stay in CAMC. But it doesn't matter to me in which class I go, its just for fun and try to get my car to go faster lol. I tend to spin out a lot because I'm not used to rear wheel drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts