Firebird Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
15,264 Posts
Not unusual for the bolts to break after almost 20 years. Wait 'till you get to the bolts that hold the manifold to the head. When you get the manifolds off, you drill the remaining piece of the bolt out. Ditto with the heads.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,084 Posts
^^ What Fred said^^^ It's actually better when you get the manifolds off so you can put a Vise-grip on the remaining studs. Use plenty of PB Blaster and work the stud back and forth a tiny bit each way until you get some looseness. Take your time and take some personal breaks in the process as well ;-) You can also use a propane torch on the metal around the stud to help. Don't heat the stud itself, or it will only get tighter. Even if it eventually breaks off, it may be looser and easier to remove after drilling it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It's very unlikely you can remove the manifolds from the top. Its already a pain to remove them from the bottom which has more space. I actually had more problem removing all the heat shields they put on it than taking out the manifolds. And on undoing the bolts, I can't remove but I did do some from the top, its just which ever side it was easier to undo them.

I'm a little "lucky" that the engine was leaking a little oil from the top, lubricating all the bolts while the oil traveled down. So all of the bolts came out of the engine easily 😁. I only broke one bolt in total and that one was on the y pipe, since no oil travled there. But you can always replace the bolts with new ones.

·
Administrator
15,264 Posts
First, the LT1 V8 manifolds are a bit different than the 3.8L V6 manifolds, so I would not judge the difficulty of removing a V8 manifold based on input about the V6.

Have you considered leaving the Y-pipe bolted up, and simply removing the bolts that hold the manifold to the head? The head will come up without removing the manifold from the engine bay. t least try it before you drop the entire Y-pipe. You won't know until you try it.

It's been almost 18 years since I pulled the manifolds off my 94 LT1 to install headers, but I'm pretty sure they came out the top. They already curve upwards as they flow out of the heads, and the extensions to the Y-pipe are not that long. The one difference on your 97 will be the large flange on the driver's side where the catalytic converter bolts up. I think it's a bit larger than the flange on the 94 which does not have that cat.

Or another thought, pull the head with the manifold attached. Again, worth a try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just came in the house I got the first 4 bolts off the head on the right side the last 2 are imposable! And not only that how I can disconnect the o2 sensor my hand can't even fit in the side to disconnect it! I have the dive side off easy need help I just can figure this out

·
Administrator
15,264 Posts
Describe things in terms of passenger side or driver side. "Right" is not always used the same way by all people.

Some of the manifold bolts may be easier to get from the bottom.

Is the O2 sensor harness connector tucked up near the sensor? Should be a bit of slack in the harness that allows you you to pull the connector down where you can access it. The connector is not right at the sensor... the sensor side of the wires should be about 8" long.

You have the complete driver side manifold off, or the driver side O2 sensor connector off?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.