Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be doing lots of exterior body mods and fixes on my 1997 firebird. I need to replace the front fenders, but I don't want to replace them with the same shitty plastic fenders that came stock. I want to get metal or carbon fiber, or even fiberglass fenders. Does anybody know of any companies or vendors that make and sell non plastic front fenders for the 4th gen birds?

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
I've never seen any front fenders other than oem plastic type. And I cruise through all the online catalogs I can find.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,404 Posts
Out of curiosity, what makes the stockers "shitty"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
What makes them shitty is the part that is bolted down at the bottom somehow broke on my driver side and then when I was driving down the highway because it wasn't secured anymore the bottom of the fender started flapping so hard in the wind the fender ripped. Now it has a big tear up the side so I have to replace it. The plastic is cheap, I would like to replace them with something more sturdy but if I can only get the oem plastic fenders I guess I'll just have to reinstall those.

I would use the fenders off of a later model 4th gen but I've read that they won't fit with my bumper so I would have to replace and convert the whole front end to that of a 98-02 to make them work.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
You don't have to replace the fender because it's ripped. You can repair it. I would use thin epoxy and glass cloth for the repair. You first apply the glass cloth and epoxy to inside of fender. Do 1 layer at a time until you've done 4 layers. Of course clean, sand with 60 grit & clean again before applying the epoxy.

Then when that has cured you grind the crack from the outside of fender so damaged area is a V. That is the outside surface is the widest and tapers down to bottom of panel. You then apply just the epoxy to the outside. When cured sand, primer surfacer, sand with 400 grit sandpaper. Then prime and paint.

I get my epoxy, glass cloth fromhttp://www.uscomposites.com

Use their fast epoxy kit. The smallest one for $22.95 will be enough to do the job and then some. And 1 yard of 7 & 1/2 once cloth. It's $5.05 per yd.

Don't use regular epoxy you get in stores. It's too thick for fiberglassing.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,404 Posts
The problem is not a "shitty" fender. The problem is that someone jacked the car with the jack under the standing seam, where the bottom of the fender bolts to the sheet metal. Bends the standing seam to the side, pushing the fender outward. Would have had the same result whether the fender was steel or carbon fiber. It is clearly marked "do not jack here". The minute someone noticed the bottom of the fender was pushed outward, it would have been possible to gently bend the sheet metal back into position, with no damage.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
The real "shitty" fenders are the ones that rust away after 20 years. They also dent easily. I wish my entire car body was "plastic". I ran over part of a concrete block once and it rolled under the left rear plastic fascia panel making a horrible crashing noise all the way back. The only damage to the panel was a small scratch.

It's the one you see in this photo and has only had a small amount of touch-up paint done to it right behind the left rear tire.

Reactions: Injuneer
1 - 8 of 8 Posts