Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive read others in here with 1996-7s that have quirky on and off electrical problems including windows and guages. BCM is always mentioned. My quirkiest bird is a 95 with the 3.6 (3.4?) My second is a 97 that has EVERYTHING going off and on, working then not working, driving me nuts. Where is the best place to buy 1 1997 BCM and does the 95 have one? I read no. If not---why is it so quirky?

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,257 Posts
There were two V6 engines available in 1995. Start of year only the 3.4L V6 (RPO L32) was available. Late production they added the 3.8L V6 (L36). Definitely no BCM w/ the L32. There was a supplemental factory service manual issued for the L36 and there is no evidence of the BCM being added. The L36 was the first OBD-2 PCM.

What - SPECIFICALLY - is "going off and on, working then not working"? With that info we might be able to help. Source of problem - You boast about finding beat up 20-25 year old cars real cheap, and then you wonder why they have problems. Taken care of, these cars are fairly reliable. Mine, purchased new 27 years ago, has never experienced most of the problems you have.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
guages but all at some time, mostly temp, sometimes fuel., drivers window, interior lights, radio, etc. Not all the time and sometimes only partially instrument light not whole thing. Now drivers window is totally stuck, and much of this is brought on by bumps in road. Its the little engine, not the 3.8 Peppy little thing though. Oh---and oddly the lights in the mirror only work sometimes.

·
Administrator
3,217 Posts
The 95 would have a retained accessory power module ( RAP ) that can do funky things to accessories. However, I don't believe instrument cluster on 95 is controlled by RAP module.

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
1,805 Posts
Could you be a little more specific about the malfunctioning of your instrument cluster? You mention the temperature and fuel gauges, but it's not clear what's wrong. The 1995 clusters are not "smart" like the ones used in the later Firebirds, so the gauge readings are all based upon reference voltages and resistance levels to ground. Depending on what symptoms you are seeing, you could have an issue with a sensor or sensors, wiring, or the cluster itself. Firebird clusters are not known for being unreliable, nor are the Retained Accessory Power Modules.
What you describe with your window could simply be an aging motor - that is far more common in cars of this age. The interior light could be a faulty door switch. Also, when you say the lights in the mirrors only work sometimes, is it when you turn them on and off?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The mirror lights will sometimes not come on. If you leave the switches on,, once in a while they will come on but then flicker off. The gas and heat guages only work half the time. The window was going down but would come up if you pulled up on the glass to help it. Then while down it stopped alltogether. Sometimes the blinkers or running lights go off on bumps, and the radio will go off and on. Quite a mess!

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,257 Posts
Is it possible the vehicle has a “salvage” title? Sounds like everything is badly corroded, as if it was in a flood.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oooh, I am not sure. Bought it with bill of sale and title signed off but have not car faxed it or put it in my name yet. Im going to look under carpets etc. Car and engine are really clean for a 95
BTW--I have a 1997 that does all that too. Exactly same stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts