Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1986, T/A, 305. Named "Bird"
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question about the second gen. Why is there two different faces, with them? Is it just a face lift? Or is there a specific reason?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you mean 70-76 and 77-81? Round headlights vs rectangle and hood to match.
I mean, if they're all the same generation, why is there two different faces for them? I know the 70 - 76 is round, and 77 - 81 is rectangle. But, why is that?

·
Registered
6 Posts
?
Just about every model year of the second gen had a different front end — various changes to headlights, nose, grills, bumper. There wasn’t really one single “facelift” year. The 77 changed to square headlights, but it had the identical bumper as the 76 (which was completely different from the 75).

In 82 the bird was completely redesigned, all new sheet metal, hence the third generation.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Every year of a Generation is not identical. There are frequent appearance changes, sometimes year to year. By “face” I assume you are asking about the front of the car - bumper, grille, headlights. It is very easy for the manufacturer to make changes to these pieces, independent of the rest of the body - fenders, hood, doors, roof, quarter panel. Ditto on the rear end of the car - bumper, taillights, facia. The wheel designs are also frequently changed within a Generation.

Reactions: aVoap

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,403 Posts
It's easier to change the nose on our cars since they just bolt on. Rather than change the entire body shape as was done during a generation change, small tweaks happened each year to keep the car fresh and to meet changing government requirements.

If you compare the changes that happened between 69 & 70, 82 & 83, etc. there were major changes to the shape of the body of the car, as well as interior & exterior features.

Reactions: aVoap

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After some more research, and reading what you all have said, I now see a difference in the front ends of the 2nd gens. I always thought they were same all around. I always just based the faces to facelifts, like how Ford did the Focus. I never thought of it the way you all described it (y)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts