Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a random misfire in cylinder 3 on my '99 V6 3.8. (Error Code P0303) The guy at Advance Auto Parts said it was probably the plugs, and said I could replace the plugs and wires myself. I would like to do that to save time and money, especially since I drive the car to work every day, and I don't have the time to put it in the shop for any amount of time.

Basically, I'm a total Firebird newbie, and it's kind of embarrasing, but I don't know where the cylinder 3 plugs are located. I've replaced plugs in other cars before, but for some reason I can't seem to find them in this car. Any help, especialy pictures, would be appreciated.

Also, is the Number One oxygen sensor in Bank 2 driver or pasenger side? And is it upstream or downstream from the engine? It popped up as error code P0155.. That needs to be replaced as well, but once I know which it is, I know where it is.

Thank so much for the help!

Steve

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
Plug number 3 is the second one from the front on the driver side.

Bank 2 is the passenger side and number one sensor is the pre-cat sensor.

The diagram shows the correct plug locations but maybe not the correct exhaust manifold, so it may be harder to see.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey I was having a similar issue. Same codes and it wound up being the ignition coil(part that your spark plug wire plugs onto on top of the engine) that needed being replace. Test the coil by swapping the 3/6 coil with the 5/2 coil. After swapping just make sure your wires are in the right spots. So the wires for cylinders 5 and 2 should be on the middle coil which now says 3/6 just match up 5 on 3 and 2 on 6. Then clear codes and drive car and get it to misfire again and see if it still says cylinder 3 or if it follows the coil to cylinder 5. Coils run about $40 online and almost 70 for the same part in store. is really easy to swap them. 2 screws holding each in,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts