Firebird Nation banner

Cutting out while driving

105 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Ownerof2brokedownvr4s
Got a new steering column in my 91. Starts up no problem, runs good and drives, but dies when I'm driving it. Starts up again no problem, not overheating, etc. I think the car sat for awhile before I got it. We're gonna get spark plugs, wires and a new distributor cap and rotor. Is there anything else we should check?
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Are you sure the ignition switch linkage in the replacement steering column is adjusted correctly? Connectors all tight?
Reactions: 1
OP: When you say it "dies," does everything go dead? No "CHECK GAUGES" or battery light? Does the radio shut off? (I.e., all switched voltage is gone?)
ICM could be overheating....common problem.

Check your VATS connections.
If a component of the PASS-Key II system fails while the vehicle is being driven, it shouldn't shut down the engine. Should enter "fault enable mode". Would be very unsafe if it shut down in traffic.
Reactions: 1
Fred is 100% correct. PASS-Key systems do not turn off a running car. They can't.
If the car is seemingly running fine and then just suddenly shuts down then I feel this is faulty wiring under the steering column; or the Icm might be going bad should and it should be pulled out of the distributor and tested. I'm sure here at firebirdnation we like to save money by checking the parts first before tossing and replacing.

ICM could be overheating....common problem.

Check your VATS connections.
Good luck man🤞
1 - 7 of 7 Posts