Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I have an 02 ws6 that is having a headlight problem, not to do with the motors or lifting the light up and down like typical birds. The plug that connects to the prongs in the back of my head lamp is corroded on the inside which causes my passenger side headlight to be on sometimes and not others based on when it gets a connection. I have cleaned both prongs and the plastic plug but it didn't help, I went and consulted with the former Pontiac dealership to find a replacement plug but they apparently discontinued it and told me to hut the junk yards or solder/ shrink wrap it on the prongs. That's not a bad idea until the headlamp goes out and I don't want to deal with that every time... Any ideas or leads? Thanks

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
Did you check other parts stores? I see three sockets for your 02 in my local AutoZone store. Although, they are different from the ones shown for my 98. I don't know why that would be true. If the ones at the store for the 02 don't look right, check the 98 ones.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I believe you can order the plug from a parts store. I work at oreilly and have looked them up for my firebird, i just had to order them. something you want to use is the bulb grease all the parts stores try to sell you. You can also shrinkwrap the wires behind the plug, and use gobs and gobs of bulb grease in the plug. I had that issue but I managed to get the plug off, clean out the holes with a penetrate, and use an entire packet of bulb grease on the new headlight. Worth a shot.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
Your lamp socket is supposedly available at an Autozone store in Santa Barbara at 305 N MILPAS ST. There is an O'Reilley's auto parts store in Goleta at 5754 Hollister Ave that probably has the part, but their web site is down this afternoon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been terribly busy packing due to myself moving on Saturday but today I am going to go to shops and see if they have the connector and if not I'll rig it myself.... Also going to have some tint put on this week

·
Registered
5 Posts
I too am having a heck of a time finding the right connector. Bought some this year which turned out I was sold the dormain. They seem to have a nodule below where you put the headlamp prongs into that doesn't let those prongs go all the way in. In turn it fried that connector. I may be wrong but the acdelco pt1249 looks to be the correct connector. It has the white clip that locks the bulb to the wiring connector. I will definitely buy the new connectors that have the solder in middle with the shrink wrap on the ends.
Another question if this is correct, does those work for the hi and low beam?
I really need the correct advice so I'm not looking over my shoulder for cops. My driver side hi and low beams are not working at this time.
To contact me faster please email me at [email protected].
I'll try to include pics in a few days.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,357 Posts
What is the year of your car? We can look in the appropriate year factory service manual, which includes the wiring diagrams, and may have the harness connector part numbers. Or you can download a free copy of the appropriate factory service manual (courtesy of GaryDoug) for your year, and check it out.

If you go to your account profile, and click on the "About" tab, there is a place to enter the specific info about your car. That info will then appear below your avatar/screen name in every post.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts