Firebird Nation banner

Coolant warning light?

4K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Lou B 
#1 ·
Hello firebuddies

my 98 Forumla showed up an alert warning light on the top left hand side of the instrument panel that looked like it was trying to tell me I was low on coolant... however, the engine did not overheat.

It was in heavy traffic, but there was no sign of trouble.

Should I be concerned, or was this a pre-warning?

I will be checking the level tomorrow morning, but last I checked (1 month ago) it was full.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Same miserable level sensor on the LS1 radiator.

In any case, check the coolant level immediately. The fact that the engine was not overheating is not a reasonable excuse for ignoring the light. Yes, the level sensors are a chronic problem, but better safe than sorry.

#8 ·
Just to verify: the coolant level is fine......
Are you checking the level in the reservoir or in the radiator? It's possible for the reservoir to show full, while the radiator is low. All it takes is a pinhole in the overflow hose/metal pipe from the radiator to the reservoir.

#12 ·
Shoebox ( shbox.com ) shows that the original GM part used in the LT1 was part # 10096163 . That was replaced by GM # 19299321 . A search on Amazon shows both those parts (AC Delco) are still available, and both are shown as compatible with the 98 Formula V8. The new part # is $61.44 . The old part # (referenced as "10096163 F-Module") is $18.80 . Maybe the F-Module is not AC Delco. Entering the old part # in the Amazon search turns up a huge number of aftermarket replacements, as low as $5. Appears to be a device that was used in many GM cars. Some of the aftermarket listings are obviously cheap Chinese rip firs, of questionable quality.

Since this is a "switch" and not a sophisticated sensor, and since it does nothing other than feed the latching relay that turns on the dash light, would seem to be little risk in trying a cheapie.

GaryDoug took a failed unit apart and found the damage was done when coolant entered the housing and corroded the printed circuit board. Maybe Gary could tell us if it looks like there is a way to improve the sealing of the housing. As far as I know the original sensor in my 94 is still OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.