Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am replacing the entire suspension on my 1995 3.4 ltre Firebird convertible with 160k miles,work already done, new engine, new 5 spd tranny and new rear end, body has been completely restored as well. i want to make sure i am not being stupid with my choices, the goal is to get the car to better than factory new condition with upgraded parts. it is by no means a performance car and is getting to be very loose feeling and squeaking everywhere that moves underneath. Moog springs, Moog inner and outer tie rods, Moog upper and lower ball joints, Moog spring seats, Moog shock bearing isolators, Monore sensitrac shocks, complete energy suspension bushing set for front and rear. do i need new upper shock mounts, and do you folks see anything i should reconsider?

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,371 Posts
You will need the front upper shock mount/spring seats. The mount supports a metal ferrule for the shock to bolt to, in a rubber diaphragm. The rubber rots and the ferrule will tear out.

Forget Monroe shocks.... you do not want those. They are not 'performance' in any way, shape or form. See the options available at Strano Parts - link below. Also look at Strano Parts for the springs. Sam Strano drove his 4th Gen Firebird to several SCCA championships. He knows what works.

Consider tubular rear lower control arms, tubular/adjustable panhard rod, and a chassis mount for your torque arm. The ES Master Set will upgrade the sway bar bushings and sway bar end-link bushings, and will include new end links and spacers. That will reduce body roll considerably, getting rid of all the slop a 19 year old car with 60K miles will have. For even more roll control in corners, consider larger front and rear sway bars.

You might want to look at the suspension components from these suppliers:

http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbymodel.php?ModelID=4

http://www.spohn.net/

Next suggested improvement would be a set of 17x9.5" wheels (45-56mm offset range), with a set of quality 275/40-17 tires.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
I'd say since you already did all those bushings, just stick with those (I know how much they can be a PITA to replace), and locate a pair of 1LE sway bars. They are inexpensive and will make a huge difference over stock base model bars.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the upgrade is finished, it took 2 days including a fuel pump replacement, went very smoothly. i must say what a difference! the old rubber was very soft, cracked and had pieces missing. the metal bushings literally fell out when i took the bolts out. i had a lot of squeaks rattles and so on, now they are all gone, had to get an alignment. the car drives like a new one now. the hardest part was getting to the rear shock upper nuts. its a convertible and a pain to get to them. thanks for the tips. the only problem i have now is that the fuel gauge is now stuck on full. worked fine before the new pump was installed. i am thinking bigger sway bars, and a subframe connector next.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts