Firebird Nation banner

Clear coat damage?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  sea dog 
#1 ·
Awhile ago one of my decals started to peel off (a lot) so I decided to take the rest off, but it left some sticky residue, which I decided to try and scrub off with a sponge and some rubbing alcohol. I did research before and nothing said it would do any damage to the paint, but now there's this foggy white stuff. It seems to sort of go away when it's wet (say I lick my finger and make a small mark). I've gone through at least 1 automatic car wash, but it still didn't go away, so I'm assuming it's an actual paint issue. I'm planning to hand wash it sometime this week, would waxing the area help any? Or do I have to take it to a body shop. Thanks!

Note: the marks aren't scrapes, as they disappear when slightly wet.
ec7165a4118a7169f7e3ffb22c283996.jpg

285fca17e70e09091c6d0b49d3655a07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sounds to me like the alcohol has reacted with the clear coat. I can't say if this is just the surface of the clear coat or if it goes all the way through the paint.

So try some white polishing compound. Follow directions on product. See if you can rub out the bad places.

Also take this as lesson learning opportunity. When using any chemical product on your paint work, first do a small hidden spot to see if there will be a negative reaction to the product. In fact most products have that in their directions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.