Firebird Nation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
What engine is in your Bird right now? If it is currently a Chev engine the conversion would be pretty easy. If you have a Poncho powerplant you'll have a lot more to change.

And don't forget front suspension such as springs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What engine is in your Bird right now? If it is currently a Chev engine the conversion would be pretty easy. If you have a Poncho powerplant you'll have a lot more to change.

And don't forget front suspension such as springs.
Exactly, if your Bird does have the 305 listed you won't have as much to change. If it still has a Pontiac motor in it, you may be in for a transmission swap. Buicks, Oldsmobiles, and Pontiacs share a common bellhousing pattern commonly referred to as BOP.

The transmission you have now will certainly not hold up long behind the torque of a healthy 454. You'll also need some front springs designed for a car with a big block up front.

And, a little tid-bit of knowledge for some who don't know:
There were some transmissions though (not sure if any made it into Firebirds ever) that had both the BOP and Chevrolet bellhousing patterns cast into the case. The only one I've actually seen was a 200r4 on a Buick frame we had at my local tech school that we used for engine diagnosis traininig.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
first I'd sale the 454 I presently have in a heart beat becouse it has been setting up in little trailer I have its been covered the entire time but not been cranked over in a long time, (still good motor to be used has a core)
second I helped out my best friend when I bought this car and not really looked at the motor all that close so I've based my engine size on what he told me so I think it has a 305 in it I know bad on me should of checked out the motor closer but since I could care less if the engine throws a rod out the side I got the car for the body motors are easy to change out and replace
thanks everybody for the help and yes if I replace that little power plant with a 454 or 455 I'd have the tranny either rebuilt to handle the new power or replace it also at the same time.
guess I could go to some old parking lot and have my buddy with the hook wait and watch me do burns out and the like till the tranny blow sky high
then have him tow it back to the shop and then replace it with the new tranny thats sounds like the funnest thing to do

·
Registered
19 Posts
first I'd sale the 454 I presently have in a heart beat becouse it has been setting up in little trailer I have its been covered the entire time but not been cranked over in a long time, (still good motor to be used has a core)
second I helped out my best friend when I bought this car and not really looked at the motor all that close so I've based my engine size on what he told me so I think it has a 305 in it I know bad on me should of checked out the motor closer but since I could care less if the engine throws a rod out the side I got the car for the body motors are easy to change out and replace
thanks everybody for the help and yes if I replace that little power plant with a 454 or 455 I'd have the tranny either rebuilt to handle the new power or replace it also at the same time.
guess I could go to some old parking lot and have my buddy with the hook wait and watch me do burns out and the like till the tranny blow sky high
then have him tow it back to the shop and then replace it with the new tranny thats sounds like the funnest thing to do
Don't forget you'll have to also upgrade your rearend. The stock won't last long with lots of hard launches coming through a big block and a stout transmission. While you're upgrading, you might as well put some steeper gears in there as you probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.4xs back there.

Be safe with your car, buddy. Along with your engine swap, I'd make sure everything is mechanically sound on the car, and make sure your brakes are in top condition, if not just swap on some 4-wheel discs if you don't have them already and/or do a brake upgrade. Going fast is fun, but you'll need more brake to cover your ass if need be.

As far as figuring out exactly what engine you have in your car, if you could post some pictures, I'm sure that we could help you out. If the center exhaust ports on the head are siamesed (directly next to each other) you have a small block Chevy most definitely. So, if you're going to post pictures, get pics of as many parts as possible with as much detail as possible and we'll be glad to help ya figure it out!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't forget you'll have to also upgrade your rearend. The stock won't last long with lots of hard launches coming through a big block and a stout transmission. While you're upgrading, you might as well put some steeper gears in there as you probably have somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.4xs back there.

Be safe with your car, buddy. Along with your engine swap, I'd make sure everything is mechanically sound on the car, and make sure your brakes are in top condition, if not just swap on some 4-wheel discs if you don't have them already and/or do a brake upgrade. Going fast is fun, but you'll need more brake to cover your ass if need be.

As far as figuring out exactly what engine you have in your car, if you could post some pictures, I'm sure that we could help you out. If the center exhaust ports on the head are siamesed (directly next to each other) you have a small block Chevy most definitely. So, if you're going to post pictures, get pics of as many parts as possible with as much detail as possible and we'll be glad to help ya figure it out!
good ideas thanks
to bad I can't take the whole axle out of my 4x4 chevy suburban its got 4.56 gears and a detroit locker inside so its locked all the time (wouldn't go very fast but sure would be a tire burner) could take out the front axle its got the same gears but only a detroit true locker (limited slip when you dont need it locked locks when you do)
As you can tell this inst the first time I've rebuilt a playtoy I'm just used to doing 4x4 not cars this is the first car (hot rod) I'm doing
Which don't get me wrong I'm not yelling at anyone or telling anybody to piss off I thank all who post you or somebody may have run into a problem that I have not and visa versa so I want the input and advice and I may be able to do the same for you or anybody that reads this or any other of my post's

·
Registered
12 Posts
good ideas thanks
to bad I can't take the whole axle out of my 4x4 chevy suburban its got 4.56 gears and a detroit locker inside so its locked all the time (wouldn't go very fast but sure would be a tire burner) could take out the front axle its got the same gears but only a detroit true locker (limited slip when you dont need it locked locks when you do)
As you can tell this inst the first time I've rebuilt a playtoy I'm just used to doing 4x4 not cars this is the first car (hot rod) I'm doing
Which don't get me wrong I'm not yelling at anyone or telling anybody to piss off I thank all who post you or somebody may have run into a problem that I have not and visa versa so I want the input and advice and I may be able to do the same for you or anybody that reads this or any other of my post's
Hello, I can help you because i have an 1980 transam with a bbc in it right now. When you finish you wont be sorry.Iam not knocking pontiac powerbut always been a chevy motor fan.You will need springs for the front,I used pontiac springs for a 400. Seems to handle the bb ok.You will need a better transmission also,I started with a 700r4and a 4.10 gearbut the hard parts in the trans would not hold up.I went to a turbo 400 and a 3.42 gear and that has worked out well. I still have the stock 8.5 gear as there is no such thing as traction taking off.I have had no trouble with the stock rear end but i have no traction modification on it.If you make it hook up better you will have to change to a sronger rear diff. As for setting it in there watch the power steering pump, if it is set to far forward the pump will hit the steering gear.For cooling get a griffin radiator with 2 rows of 1 1/4 tubes and a good electric cooling fan. I ran mine in city traffic last year with 100 degree heat and engine temp did not get above 180. On camshaft on the bb run a roller cam and save a potental heartbreak off flattening a cam. When you get done get in the car and it WILL put a smile on your face when you hit that gas pedal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello, I can help you because i have an 1980 transam with a bbc in it right now. When you finish you wont be sorry.Iam not knocking pontiac powerbut always been a chevy motor fan.You will need springs for the front,I used pontiac springs for a 400. Seems to handle the bb ok.You will need a better transmission also,I started with a 700r4and a 4.10 gearbut the hard parts in the trans would not hold up.I went to a turbo 400 and a 3.42 gear and that has worked out well. I still have the stock 8.5 gear as there is no such thing as traction taking off.I have had no trouble with the stock rear end but i have no traction modification on it.If you make it hook up better you will have to change to a sronger rear diff. As for setting it in there watch the power steering pump, if it is set to far forward the pump will hit the steering gear.For cooling get a griffin radiator with 2 rows of 1 1/4 tubes and a good electric cooling fan. I ran mine in city traffic last year with 100 degree heat and engine temp did not get above 180. On camshaft on the bb run a roller cam and save a potental heartbreak off flattening a cam. When you get done get in the car and it WILL put a smile on your face when you hit that gas pedal.
thanks tech sounds like you've done alot of hard work to yours and may of saved me some time on mine thanks again

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dad took a chevy 454 big block and put a stroker crank and 100 over forged piston and rings in a 1977 firebird and he said it wasnt too hard but after it was done that car took off, we are currently in the process of doing the same to a 1981 fire bird but with twin turbos as well

1 - 12 of 12 Posts