Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey guys, I bought a shell of a 1985 Trans Am, looking to restore it as a fun project I'm relatively new to cars, and could really use some advice. The car had no engine or transmission when I got it, and the rear end had been totally destroyed in an accident. I've already swapped the rear with a 10 bolt posi that I bought from a local guy. He also had an old chevy 350 short block sitting around, and he gave me that.

That's all I have right now, and I'm looking to add everything to it and use it in the car (I'm not going for a race car, just something to drive). I'm thinking a 4 speed munchie because they're cheap and robust so I hear.

Also, what attaches to the motor? I'm thinking water pump, harmonic balancer, oil pump, power steering pump, and alternator, am I missing anything?

My uncle told me that the conversion from a drum brake rear end to a disc brake posi required changing the master cylinder, but I don't know much about that, is he right?

I realize this post is all over the place, so thanks in advance for the help!

Shayne

·
Administrator
3,413 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Disc brake rear takes different master cylinder than drum brake rear.

You'd be better off in the money department buying a complete 350 with complete manual transmission for your car. And with gas prices going up I'd suggest a t-56 6 speed for your car.

And if going with a manual, a 3.42 or 3.73 ratio rear end for your car.

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
A "short block" is typically the block and rotating assembly - no heads, no intake manifold, no exhaust manifolds, no water pump, no oil pan, no distributor, no carb or EFI system, no accessories - alternator, power steering A/C, AIR pump, etc. May or may not include a camshaft, timing set and timing cover, oil pump. No pulleys, no balancer/damper, no flywheel or pressure plate, no valve train. Unless the short block has been properly prepared and stored, it can be full of rust, particularly in the cylinders, requiring major rebuild.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know, thanks guys! I forgot to mention, I already have an intake manifold and carburetor (needing rebuilding) that was given to me along with the motor. The 350 just came out of a running 74' blazer, so I'm not too worried that it has tons of damage. I wouldn't mind buying a complete 350, but I would really rather add all of the accessories myself for the experience, my uncle owns a garage so I may be able to pick up some parts for cheap, or even get a full engine, but I would have to ask. I'm really trying to save money on the transmission. This car is just for fun, not a daily driver so gas doesn't concern me much.

5 Posts
Putting together a car can be fun but also a real pain when it comes to the little stuff. Missing a bunch of engine components will be the tough one. Not so much the carb and intake but things like the entire front drive setup for the engine. The power steering pump and water pump and alternator can be had pretty quick from a recycling yard or a parts house but the brackets to bolt them on and in the right alignment can really be tough.
rowing the car with a manual trans would be awesome if your into shifting gear like me but like Sea Dog said, gas prices being what they are you will save a ton of cash over a short period by going with an overdrive unit. You can easily burn up the price difference in fuel in as little as a year.
We have a bunch of birds and looking around we have not had too much trouble finding Complete trans setups for them. If your going with the manual the car would have had a hydraulic clutch originally so checking a manual F Bod out in a Recycling Yard for all the parts will be a plus.
Good luck on the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the advice! The car only needs the engine, transmission, and drive shaft to be driveable, So I've decided that I want to put it all together myself. We have a lot of local yards around here, so I'm going to see what I can find next week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Side note: just ran the numbers on the carb I was given, and it's a 750 CFM. I realize this is huge overkill for a stock 350, is it harmful to run it anyways and upgrade the 350 later when i have more money? I know my efficiency i going to be terrible for the time being, I just don't want to harm anything else.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.