Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm going to look at a 69 Firebird tomorrow. It's a PHS documented 400 4-speed car. However, the original drivetrain is gone but it has a 69 Pontiac 400 and a 69 Muncie 4 speed in it.
The car runs/drives but is a project..has "most parts.
I've had a few birds in the past nut never a first gen.
Body, floor, trunk, subframe supposed to be solid...

I was born in 69 so that's partially why I'm looking for a 69...and may be retiring soon.

Anyway, since I've never owned a first gen...anything specific I should look for? I've communicated back and forth and saw a video of the car running and pulling in and out of his shop.
I'm fairly familiar with what to look for in general but anything first gen specific?? Or..things to make me run gar far away? Lol

·
Administrator
2,430 Posts
I don't know a thing about 1st gens, sorry. ...just wanted to say Welcome Aboard and good luck!

Reactions: Pontiac_6T9

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi welcome first I don't know anything special on a 69. I have two 67 in my time and never had any big problems except they like timing chains. Don't know if the 69 are like that

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,291 Posts
Great to have you here.

Look at the typical rust locations, Frame & fenders.

Let us know if you do get the car. We love new cars, lol.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a 69 stick shift car, love it. The front end is a huge pain to get lined up properly. If the front sheet metal is all good and has not been hit you should be good. If the fitment is bad and shows past damage I would look at the purchase real close. Maybe have a good body shop that works on older cars take a close look at it. Tom

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 69 400. Would say to check to verify that it is a real 400. Lots of folks will drop a 400 in a 69, but it isn't a real one. Things like the arrowhead in the front bumper, and making sure the bumper holes are square and not round. There are some great lists if you google for more things to verify. Hope you get a great carl!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts