Firebird Nation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been going through my 76 Formula replacing the rubber pieces as time has wiped them out. While replacing the cowl rubber came across two rubber bumpers that hold the rear center hood up. Screws only held them which of course had rusted almost away but they did back out. Nobody had what my car took, they have the outside corners but not rear center like mine.
My research led to a company called ZORO which has so many different styles. I just opened the package and they look right,cost about $6.00 for a bag of 5. 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have been going through my 76 Formula replacing the rubber pieces as time has wiped them out. While replacing the cowl rubber came across two rubber bumpers that hold the rear center hood up. Screws only held them which of course had rusted almost away but they did back out. Nobody had what my car took, they have the outside corners but not rear center like mine.
My research led to a company called ZORO which has so many different styles. I just opened the package and they look right,cost about $6.00 for a bag of 5. 馃槉
Part # G7470215

Registered
This is on my '78, different setup but may be same heights. #545998 (#4868380 / #9841451) bumpers which are 15/16" high. This is the 77-81 Firebird setup, can't see why it would work on early models unless hood was swapped.

Some earlier models used an adjustable type on a retainer similar to front (and rear) hood corners. But it's at the rear. Here's a link:

Now, is any of that useful on a 1976 model, wouldn't think the screw on bumpers were but trying to identify what you are trying to replace. And if it touches the hood! Should be the same as 70-81 Camaro hood setup.

Cowl hood bumper 545998 ground strap by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Cowl hood bumper 545998 15_16high by Aus78Formula, on Flickr

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
My 76 has the setup pictured above with the screw in rear hood rest and a jumbo complet end to end seal that i am calling it a cowl seal in there. Quite sure they are orignal and never been altered as i have owned the car for 45 years and never wrecked. Just as the body mounts were obviously a mix match of prior and new designs and not what the aftermarket suggest now they are what they are.
I am just glad to put the car back together for another 45 years without cobbing it back together.
I found these bumpers, more or less center and left not one on the right side, for rear hood support as i was replacing the long cowl rubber seal. Never knew the bumpers were in there.
Firebird Central shows rubbers for the outpost for the rear but just sent a email saying no can get. Got the fronts though.

Registered
Was your pack a similar height to what I posted?

Which FC bumper were you after that was out of stock, the centre one with retainer strip?

Classic Industries also lists it, as would others if did a search.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts