Firebird Nation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We need a 4 barrel carb, picked up a used mid-70's Pontiac Q-Jet but it was too crusty and pitted to use.

So, now we need a carb. Looking at a replacement rebuilt Q-Jet, Edelbrock, and Holley, all are in the same ballpark pricewise, so I guess it just boils down to personal preference.

Engine is a 350 H.O. or thereabouts, estimated 350 hp with a stock 4-barrel intake.

Are there any special considerations to factor in to using one carb vs. another? I see CFM rating between 500-700 with the Edelbrocks and the Holley carbs, what should I get if I go with one of them? Will I need special adapter plates? Can I use the stock air cleaner with any/all of them?

Does anyone have a decent 60's period Q-Jet for sale? I don't mind putting a kit in it as long as it's refurbishable!

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I wouldn't consider anything but a Q-jet for it. A 750 is big enuff. But an 800 is OK too. The late 2nd gen 350's and even the 301's used the 800 Q's.

Cliff Ruggles recommends the '76 - '79 800's, because of the APT adjustment.

We ran the '68-'70 750's on all our street and race cars. So, they'll work, too. But, most say it's easier to find good carbs from the late '70's and that the castings are better, than the early models.

I personally would not want one of the Pontiac carbs which has the big "smokestack" vent, which requires a hole in your air cleaner base.

So, an 800 off a 403 Olds might be a good choice. And since there were so many 2nd gen Birds which came with a 403, there should be plenty of cores and rebuilds for sale.

If you want an earlier model 800, most of the early '70s 455 Buicks had 'em. Cliff also recommends these. I think the throttle lever is slightly different, and the return spring must come from the front. But all that is easy to rig up.

So, there are lots of Q-jet options. If you don't mind spending about $400 or so for one, I'd recommend an 800, without the smokestack, from SMI. :smile22:

http://www.smicarburetor.com/products/sfID1/28/sfID2/9/sfID3/100

If the SMI is too high, some have had good luck with the Uremco brand Q's from Summit. They have a '79 Bird type 403 Q, instock, shipped for less than $350.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/urm-11-1230

http://www.uremcoinc.com/carburetors/view/35919

Then there are all the Ebay sellers. Some are good--some are not

There are so many guys in the game now that you have to go for a model that did not come on a popular Musclecar, to find a decent price. Some prices are outrageous. :shock:

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
"...Does anyone have a decent 60's period Q-Jet for sale?..."

Everyday has a nice '68 Buick 400GS model for $375. It looks very similar to the Pontiac models. Again, the throttle lever is a bit different.

http://www.everyday-performance.com/quadrajet_carburetors.htm#!/Buick-1968-GS400-Quadrajet-7028242/p/48371529/category=578011

"...The second one (# 17056264) looks like it's from a 75-76. Do you think that would work?..."

The link won't work for me. This carb is a '76 Pontiac and will have the big vent. But if you don't mind cutting a hole in your air cleaner base for it and sealing it with a rubber O-ring of some kind, it will work. :smile22:

Both carbs in these pics were made by Carter, for Rochester. No difference in function.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,830 Posts
Had a Q-jet in my '80 Z28, it's got my vote. All I remember about that carb was the primaries were tiny, and the secondaries were huge. ...compared to other carbs, it sipped fuel around the city, and sucked it down with the best of them at WOT.

I realy enjoyed opening those secondaries. The kick in the ass from 1/2 to WOT because of the masive surge in cfm is pleasing to say the least. :) I don't think the 1/2-WOT pull would be as fun if the primaries and secondaries were of equal size. I could be wrong about that though.

Edit: ...Carter sticks out in my mind, but, I sold that car 23 years ago and can't completely remember.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Give Sean at SMI a call.He is in huntington beach ca.Last time I was there he had some pontiac QJs on the shelf.One adavantage with him is he drives a pontiac and can run it on his car before it leaves his shop.He can jet it and set it up for your engine.He has helped me a lot when I had a very large cam and had issues.Tom

·
Registered
154 Posts
Give Ken at everyday a call. He did not have the carb I needed listed, but he has a supply not yet rebuilt. We talked several times before I ordered. Within 2 weeks he built the carb I wanted and shipped it out. It's due to get here Wednesday! I'll let you know how it runs!!! , but his customer service and price was very good. His product also has a great performance reputation.

Ken lied!! I just checked the mail and got this bad boy two days early

Attachments

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
All this Qjet talk is going to make me pull the one I have out and see if its worth a crap lol. It still has all the gold coating on it. Came off of a early 70s 1 ton dually with a small block.

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm ordering a gold chromate one from him today! Thanks for the tip!

I wish I had an engine run stand. Having to figure out how to do the initial break in without using the new ceramic coated headers (breaking in an engine ruins the ceramic coating on the inside and voids the warranty). we have the stock iron manifolds, but getting from there to exhaust without spending money is stumping us!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I still have my Rochester Carburetors book by Doug Roe and Bill Fisher from the 80's. Really liked the Q Jet and the small primaries for throttle response and then there is that great sound when the secondaries come in. I was looking at some of the carbs Summit has, but was left wondering what jets, metering rods, power piston spring, etc. they have in them. I remember I had to get a weaker power piaton spring because the cam I had and the low vacuum, the power piston was coming up all the time.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had a worked up quadrajet on my old Firebird late 70's early 80's. I had no complaints with the way it ran. But I haven't seen the guy who did mine for years or I would have him do one for me. So far I don't like the performer carb on this one yet.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have a 600 cfm performer now the ladt guy added, so far seems OK but when I build the other engine I will probly go to the old q jet

There is nothing like the sound of q jet secondaries on a 79 ta with a 403 and cut open shaker , I could use it as a ring tone lol

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We ended up not going with Everyday Performance. We got lucky and found a 69 QJet in excellent condition online. It works great! My dad found it, I'll ask him where he got it, the guy had several different carbs for sale.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love the sound of a quad, I've ordered a rebuild kit for mine, the secondary won't even come in when called and the car is flooding itself while driving. The carb is original to my car I hate the thoughts of changing

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.