Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Firebird Formula / 400ci 6.6L V8 / TH350
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my car years ago and then it sat. when I started it recently, it had no problems starting, my issue is that when I try and give it gas it starts to bog out on me. does anyone know if this is due to clogged jets or something in the fuel lines maybe? Not exactly sure on how to identify this issue.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,975 Posts
Year of car and which engine??? What carb??

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
2,764 Posts
If it sat for literal years and you did not winterize it beforehand, it needs a good cleaning. Period. The seal of the accelerator pump may be shot, or the float(s) can be sticking, or both, or something else, or one or both of those things and something else. Is the choke operating properly? If you slowly (very slowly) increase the throttle by hand what happens? Accelerator pump can be checked by looking down into the carb and quickly opening the throttle. If all is good, you should see a squirt of fuel when you do this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it sat for literal years and you did not winterize it beforehand, it needs a good cleaning. Period. The seal of the accelerator pump may be shot, or the float(s) can be sticking, or both, or something else, or one or both of those things and something else. Is the choke operating properly? If you slowly (very slowly) increase the throttle by hand what happens? Accelerator pump can be checked by looking down into the carb and quickly opening the throttle. If all is good, you should see a squirt of fuel when you do this.
i did not winterize it. probable need to clean everything out fire and check. I do get fuel to squirt when i push by hand

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Apart from all the gunk and sludge that has now developed, and condition of components, that fuel in the carb and lines would be super nasty.
I will probably pull fuel lines and see if I can clean them out or just replaced them so I don’t have to worry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts