Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 96 firebird and the lights in the stereo controls on the steering wheel have all burnt out. Is it possible to replace the lights without replacing the whole assemblies? Do the buttons "pop"
out of the steering wheel? Or do you have to remove the airbag and other parts? I had GM check the price for the button clusters and they said about 200 bucks PER cluster. If this is a big hassle to work on I'll just pretend they never lit up before, lol.

I recently had my plastic dash crack this summer also, never used any polish on it, guess it's just crappy plastic, I may try to take it out and cement it together.

I also would like to replace the lights in the doorhandles, but maybe with something a little brighter, any ideas would be appreciated.

As always thanks for helping and FBN rocks!!!

·
Burrd Man!
2,997 Posts
thee door handle lights are easy, idk bout the rest, you take the screw out of the miffle of where the door handle is to open it, and remove the lock and plastive surrounding the handle, u should be able to access the light from this point to change to what you wish

·
F.B.N. Audio Bling Team
6,720 Posts
The door handle bulb is a number 74, you can get LED's on eBay for cheap, but I dunno how much brighter it will be as the red coloring is from a pices of red plastic thats molded in the plastic.

The steering wheel controls do pop out, but unless you have knowledge of LED boards dont do it yourself. You can get it from radio shack using part number 272-1154, its a bi-pin lamp.

heres a write up http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3024910

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys, I have a 96 firebird and the lights in the stereo controls on the steering wheel have all burnt out. Is it possible to replace the lights without replacing the whole assemblies? Do the buttons "pop"
out of the steering wheel? Or do you have to remove the airbag and other parts? I had GM check the price for the button clusters and they said about 200 bucks PER cluster. If this is a big hassle to work on I'll just pretend they never lit up before, lol.

I recently had my plastic dash crack this summer also, never used any polish on it, guess it's just crappy plastic, I may try to take it out and cement it together.

I also would like to replace the lights in the doorhandles, but maybe with something a little brighter, any ideas would be appreciated.

As always thanks for helping and FBN rocks!!!
Those door handle bulbs are available at the auto parts store. Don't remember the Sylvania part #. Just take it out with patients so you don't break it. Pack of 2 not more than $4-8

·
Registered
Pontiac Firebird 1994 3,4l L32
79 Posts
The steering wheel button lamps cannot be replaced by yourself (if there is no soldering skills). There, each lamp is soldered into the circuit board. If there are no skills, then the problem can only be solved by replacing the button block.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts