Firebird Nation banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I have a 1976 Trans am. It’s been sitting around 20 years and I just inherited it. I am trying to shift it out of park but my key won’t turn so I can’t shift it. I have heard of moving the shift linkage and that working. I tried doing it but I don’t know what to do with the shift linkage to be able to shift it. If anyone has some advice it would be appreciated. I have tried YouTube but they don’t have the 76’ model. Or if anyone has tips on how to do something a different way to be able to shift and move it. Thanks.

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,275 Posts
You can disconnect the "back drive mechanism" which is a couple rods that connect the transmission shift lever on the transmission to the base of the steering column in the engine compartment. Slide under the car and you'll figure it out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey guys. I have a 1976 Trans am. It’s been sitting around 20 years and I just inherited it. I am trying to shift it out of park but my key won’t turn so I can’t shift it. I have heard of moving the shift linkage and that working. I tried doing it but I don’t know what to do with the shift linkage to be able to shift it. If anyone has some advice it would be appreciated. I have tried YouTube but they don’t have the 76’ model. Or if anyone has tips on how to do something a different way to be able to shift and move it. Thanks.
Forgot to mention it is an automatic. I’m new to the car world so I don’t really know any of what I’m doing. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
That's ok, this applies to both manual and auto but this one is auto specific. Jack it up safely where you can slide under and see where the transmission cable hooks to the side of the transmission. You should find this funky assortment of rods, back-drive mechanism, sometimes called reverse lock-out in manuals. They can be removed due to installing headers which create their own dramas. they can become damaged, seized up or out of adjustment, and then make shifting difficult. You can probably see if it moves at all or seems free before getting someone to try and shift at same time. Remember to have chocks etc if relying on it being in Park and then finds Neutral while you are under the car...

Mine doesn't have one at all so hard to get pics but here's some guides. See the selector level/bracket on the side of the transmission, unpainted metal with blue nut on mine. The shifter cable hooks up to that, and the rods also do. You may be able to spray around the moving parts to check if free or binding, or disconnect where it hooks up on bracket and perhaps at base of steering column. There's a few sliding adjustments on the rod that you may not want to touch just yet, in case they are already right. Juist enough to see if this is stopping you from shifting. While under there check that the cable is free, if kinked or melted it may also be a restriction. If not sure, it can also be unbolted from the tranmission bracket, mark where it is installed. That will disconnect the shifter from the transmisson and be able to see if the shifter itself is free. Remember what gear you were in when starting and finishing so it lines up easier.

TH350 repainted2 by Ben, on Flickr
TH350 repainted3 by Ben, on Flickr

·
Administrator
1993 6-spd T/A - 1996 C4
3,134 Posts
Forgot to mention it is an automatic. I’m new to the car world so I don’t really know any of what I’m doing. Thanks guys.
We knew as much. Manuals don't have "Park".

Reactions: NOT A TA

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,203 Posts
Haha. I remember a problem with my 70 Formula having "no backup lights". The problem was a missing relay link from the transmission to the steering collar. I did not bother to find a new one, just remembered to turn the collar when I wanted backup lights ;-)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's ok, this applies to both manual and auto but this one is auto specific. Jack it up safely where you can slide under and see where the transmission cable hooks to the side of the transmission. You should find this funky assortment of rods, back-drive mechanism, sometimes called reverse lock-out in manuals. They can be removed due to installing headers which create their own dramas. they can become damaged, seized up or out of adjustment, and then make shifting difficult. You can probably see if it moves at all or seems free before getting someone to try and shift at same time. Remember to have chocks etc if relying on it being in Park and then finds Neutral while you are under the car...

Mine doesn't have one at all so hard to get pics but here's some guides. See the selector level/bracket on the side of the transmission, unpainted metal with blue nut on mine. The shifter cable hooks up to that, and the rods also do. You may be able to spray around the moving parts to check if free or binding, or disconnect where it hooks up on bracket and perhaps at base of steering column. There's a few sliding adjustments on the rod that you may not want to touch just yet, in case they are already right. Juist enough to see if this is stopping you from shifting. While under there check that the cable is free, if kinked or melted it may also be a restriction. If not sure, it can also be unbolted from the tranmission bracket, mark where it is installed. That will disconnect the shifter from the transmisson and be able to see if the shifter itself is free. Remember what gear you were in when starting and finishing so it lines up easier.

TH350 repainted2 by Ben, on Flickr
TH350 repainted3 by Ben, on Flickr

Thank you so much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts