Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I looked at the local Craigslist and found a 1978 Trans Am.. It was described with "Butler and TKO 600."

I was immediately interested so I called the guy and he said the car had been parked for a year or so. I asked him why, and he laughed a bit then said that it scared him. He went on to say that it had a Butler Performance Engines Crate 455 in and that it had a Tremec TKO 600 5 speed in it.

Long story short, I looked at the car, drove it and traded a pretty nice 1981 Corvette for it.

In the trunk, I found a 3 ring binder with all of the purchase information from Butler, the Tremec TKO 600, the McLeod clutch, and Global West tubular A arms, along with receipts for many more performance related items. I was a bit surprised and happy at this find in the trunk.

Being a bit skeptical, I called Butler Performance, gave them the invoice number, and block number. They confirmed that it was one of their crate engines and then they asked what they could do for me. I asked a few questions and hung up with a grin on my face.

Long story short, the car is a beast, and handles like it is on rails.

Is anyone else on this forum running a Butler engine? How have they fared in long term reliability and maintenance issues?

The cars interior is a wreck, the exterior is nice and it is rust free. The previous owner owned a media blasting company. He said he blasted it while it was apart prior to painting.

The 10 bolt rear axle with 4:11 positraction is not long for this world if I ever put a set of drag radials on the back. I plan on finishing out the interior, upgrading the brakes, tubb it a little, and put in a nice strong Ford 9" 31 spline rear axle out back.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
You made a good trade. Pretty much everything you need to restore interior is available from 2nd gen parts suppliers. And most of the parts cost less than corvette parts. To me, the rust free exterior is a big plus. Please keep her inside a garage to keep her that way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts