Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have a firebird yet but I've been looking at building a new drag car and have been looking at some 2nd gen firebirds/trans ams, along with 2nd gen Camaros, 1st gen Mustangs and mid 70's stingrays. I'm here just looking for some information and have always found forums to be one of the best ways to gather the intel I need.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
There are a LOT of different opinions on this and most other car forums. I've had quite a few Pontiac drag cars, which have collectively won lots of races--1st & 2nd gen Birds, '67 & '69 Tempest and GTO's, and a '74 Ventura. They all had 1 thing in common. They had real Pontiac power. No Chevy, or GM corporate engines of any kind. I'm what some call a Pontiac "freak".

And, on forums, what we do is give our opinions. So, here's mine. If you decide to race a 2nd gen Bird, use only a Pontiac engine. If you wanna use a Chevy engine, go with a Chevy body. All 2nd gen Birds were available with some type of Pontiac engine, even tho some came with Chevy straight 6 & sbc engines, as well as Olds 403 & Buick V6. But Pontiac engines were not used in 3rd and 4th gen Birds, so it's fine with me to run Chevy power in those cars.

I know this rubs a lot of the younger guys the wrong way, and they are entitled to their opinion also. But, that's just the way I feel about it. And, I am not, by any means, the only guy in the world who feels this way. :no

http://www.pontiacheaven.org/

If you decide to go with a Pontiac powered 2nd gen, there are usually quite a few, race ready and rollers for sale. Most of these are priced well below what it would cost you to build from scratch. :yes

You mentioned several brands you are considering. Maybe you should 1st decide on what you wanna use for power, then buy that brand of car. :yes

There is now quite an assortment of Ford, Chevy, and even Pontiac power options. sbc is by far the cheapest option.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.