Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well cant work on my car for a few weeks with a broken hand so I thought some planning was in order.

I need to buy a brake booster and master cylinder. I have front discs and rear drum on my 68 bird and was wondering what size boster set up to get? I see 11 inch, 7 inch, and a few sizes. What should I go for?

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have the stock size which is 11" it is little tight to the valve covers. I would probably go with a smaller one if I did it again. But I am not worried about it looking stock.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not too worried about stock look either. Is there any difference with the function of the brakes with the different sizes?

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Just make sure if you go with I think it is a 9 inch or 8 inch booster, make sure it has dual diaphrams inside it.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just make sure if you go with I think it is a 9 inch or 8 inch booster, make sure it has dual diaphrams inside it.
excellent. Thats the info I am after.

Are there other cars that have brake master cylinders and boosters that will bolt in there? What later cars could I pluck a system out of?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering if your 68 uses the 4 piston GM calipers?
Truth told. I am not sure. I know the car did not come with front discs as the prev owner said that he did that switch. Maybe came off camero or later bird. This car the prev owner had for 25 years and was a project he never got finished. In fact it was the first car he ever owned! So much of it is a work in progress but lucky me he kept it in his barn with only a small roof leak that got into the trunk because there is no weather stripping and burned a small hole in the trunk pan. I am so eager to check all this out but broke my hand last week so I am in holding until it heals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts