Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I was just wondering what's the best way to run the car in a autocross. I've gone before just how it is, but I want to see if someone has the best way to set it up, and maybe not be last place again lol. All the bushings should be settled in so I would get an alignment now. I found a guy who had a firebird in the autox and told me to get some toe-out and more camber, but he hasn't gone anymore and I don't know which angle would be the best.
Does tire pressure make a big difference?
Would taking the t-tops off and lowering the windows help? Maybe lower the center of gravity, since they're so heavy lol.

The car should turn much better now, it got new energy bushings, tie rods, and gently used 32mm and 17mm sway bars. Just trying to get the car set up the best it can.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ran autocross with my Vette. I found that seat time was the best way to improve your times. With that said, tires might be be the best thing to change. I used a soft compound tire "Victo Racers" and varied the tire pressures depending on temperature. After each run I would record tire pressures and times. Most of the time my best times were around 35 psi. I also marked the tires with white shoe polish and could see where the tire was wearing. This showed me how the tire's foot print was doing. The setting (camber) that does well in an autocross does not do well on the road as it will wear your tires un- evenly. Make sure your brakes are up to speed. With an auto and a 3.8L don't expect too much, just have fun. Most autocross events are set up for "tuners" or "rice burners" Again, just have fun. If you really get the bug, see if you can find a Mazda Miuada (sp?) you know the "jelly bean" looking sports car. It's an excellent platform to learn about auto crossing.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well yes seat time is the best, but its pricey, lol. I don't expect much, fun factor is the main thing, just trying to get more fun out of it.
Brakes were on my to-do list, just because, current are still decent. I was thinking of some ebc red or yellow stuff.
Do racing tires make a big difference? I might get those instead, I even have a spare set of rims to change between street and racing tires.
With the camber I wouldn't go with something too extreme. But the car is rarely used, I probably put 1000 miles for the year I've owned it.
A mazda... Idk, I liked the firebird more lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts