Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im wanting to do something backwards of the norm. Im wanting to convert FROM power drum brakes, to MANUAL disc. Ive looked all over the net, but cannot find a definite answer on what components I would need to swap out. I will be grabbing a disc conversion kit from summit or another vendor but I need to ditch the power booster. I found a smaller booster which makes room for valve covers, but the issue is, I will have very low manifold vacuum so unless I got hydro boost (yuk!), I need to convert to manual disc type master cylinder.

The factory setups I see use 2 studs on the firewall but I have 4 studs due the booster bracket. Do I just not use 2 of them and bolt a master cylinder up? What about pushrod ect to the pedal? Any help would be appreciated.

FYI....when I pulled my brake lines off the metering valve....fluid was red and thicker than brake fluid.....ATF DOH!!! Smh...the previous owner didnt know his butt from a rat hole.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what did you use for the pushrod James? I didnt see one in the picture on the summit page.

Also, I was looking at a kit thats the disc brake conversion kit that includes tubular uppers and lowers for around $680 but it didnt have a master cylinder :(

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
doh...I shoulda looked at all of the pictures. Thanks! I can grab the arms separately and save a few bux!

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
When you do this there are two holes in the brake pedal arm If you are going from power to

manual brakes you would use the top hole the bottom is for power brakes

A note form the directions

Note:The pedal rod should not be put in a bind when attaching it to the pedal assembly.
If there is only one hole in your pedal, you may need to drill a second hole about 1" Higher than the original hole.

(if you are going from power to manual brakes)

You will also have to cut the pushrod to length.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TY Sir! Just didnt want to go into it blind and end up with the wrong master cylinder ect.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Cool

1 - 7 of 7 Posts