Firebird Nation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing new tires and being out of work, I was looking around for some good, but cheap tires. I stumbled upon the Avon Tech M500 on tirerack.com's website. It turns out that Tirerack is the only importer of these British made "tyres"
right now. But Tirerack rates them as their best tire for my '94 T/A. But I was sketched and didn't find a whole lot of info on them except reviews from Tirerack's site. But I finally decided to go ahead and buy them once I found out that Avon just teamed up with Cooper to be their distributor for the US. (Plus they come with a 30 day trial period.)

I've only had them a week, but man, these things rock! My original tires were Eagle GT II 225/60 16 with a T rating (118 mph). I shoed up with a set of Avon Tech M500 245/50 16 with a W rating (168 mph).

With my LT1 with a Jasper automatic 4L60E tranny with a shift kit (plus a few other minor mods, probably putting me right around 315-320 hp), I used to be able to light my tires up from a dead stop (or even rolling up to about 15 mph) and chirp them in 2nd. With these Avon's, I can't even spin them from a dead stop. I'm incredibly impressed with them. And the amazing thing is that 4 tires with 3 day shipping only cost me $436. They are also amazingly quieter. Seriously, truly, noticably quieter. I haven't had a chance to drive them in the rain yet, but they supposedly rate very high in those conditions too. Since everything else so far has held true, I wouldn't doubt it.

I do realized that I added almost an inch width to my tires, but I am really impressed with these tires so far and highly recomend them.

Also, just a little more info if you are interested. They introduced 2 types into the US, the M500 which are Summer tires, and the M550 which are All-Season tires. They aren't selling these tires in the UK. So I think they might just be cheap as hell right now trying to get their foot in the door of the US market.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just wanted to add that after putting a few hundred miles on them, they have lost their initial incredible stickyness (almost like I was running slicks). So now I can light them up off the line. But they still have way more grip than the Eagle GT II. And I am still really impressed by them.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts