Firebird Nation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering adding some power to my 350ci firebird via a turbocharger, mild boost numbers nothing crazy. Full chassis are very expensive for a car that will only see a road course a couple times a year, so I thought that if I re-welded all the seams in the stock frame, used welded subframe connectors, solid bushings etc. I should be able keep body flexing down. But for the rear frame rails the only upgrades available are impressive half-chassis that use coilovers. Since I don't need to be adjusting the suspension for a new track every week leaf springs should be good enough for me. What can I buy or do to strengthen the back end of the car to help it handle more power than it was designed to handle?
For an axle, Ford 9-inches are cool, but what if I welded the axle tubes and installed Ford bearing housing at the tube ends? Would that live to 450-500hp? It would be much cheaper than a new 9-inch setup.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Subframe connectors, regardless of being a straight-six it big torque V8. Otherwise, it comes down to fancy things you want that aren't always needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts