Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Vendor
41 Posts

·
BillyMagg
306 Posts
Let's talk about headers. Find out how do they work, why do you need the one installed on your car, what types of headers are available on the market,

which materials are used. Find the answers on these and many other questions in our new article: http://www.carid.com/articles/are-headers-worth-performance-improvement.html

headers-collage.jpg
No, you don't need headers on a street driven Firebird, they are noisy, loosen easily and blow out those funky little gaskets, and with the SD manifolds as an alternative, I would never put headers on another bird, and yes I do have headers, and wish I didn't? Like I said I would pursue one of the many fine Pontiac manifolds, they are available as re-pops if you can't find the originals. While certain headers may do a better job of scavenging the exhaust gasses, a little back pressure does seem to help "drivability", low end torque for off idle acceleration etc? just ole billymaggs two cents??? but you are young and I know you will end up buying headers, so do your research, listen to the sages on here and buy a set that are well made, and scavenge well for the application you are contemplating?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Rip him up there Billy Magg...lol

I happen to love headers, for looks and sounds and horsepower increase.

The little gasket chunks I agree drive ya crazy,,,but I bought the crush styled ones for 38 bucks a set and no problems or issues at all well worth the cash for them over the paper ones and metal single style like stock manifold ones.

I would like some stainless steel ones, I think dude should give a free set away to the best supporter of Headers...Ahhhmmm ME...lol

Ill take them any day.

They tune the exhaust to be more efficient and increase power...how could ya not love them...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I think it all depends on what came on the car from the factory, what your intended use is for the car, and what other parts you have on the engine. I had a lot of fun making my own round port true sidepipe headers and they sound great. Now days I see exhaust manifolds on cars that look like factory headers as standard equipment, and if you are only doing some minor improvements in airflow, there is no need to get headers, a catback system will be good enough. Older cars that came with log style heavy iron manifolds are not going to cut it when you start to need a better flowing exhaust system. Some like to go with headers, some folks go with high performance factory style manifolds. I went with headers, but I can see why someone would choose the Ram Air/HO manifolds as well. Ground clearance is one main difference, as well as heat under your floorboards and cooking your starter. I have never had any issues with gaskets blowing out at the header flange or the collector. I believe, but have never seen any actual results, that true, full length headers flow better than"factory headers", but weather your set up actually needs this much airflow would depend on the rest of your combo. Still, if I were going to spend the money, and pretty much put a whole new exhaust system on, I would get headers. But I can see why some would choose the RamAir/HO manifolds if that is the route they prefer, they are both nice exhaust systems.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
To me the Mechanic types, prefer the Manifolds since you can actually turn a wrench where on headers it is very difficult and very limited space...I know my mechanic just kept grumbling why do you have headers, Manifolds are so much easier and work just as well...while we were putting them on and off each time we had to pull the engine after finding other issues during my engine swap out last year...I was right there turning wrenches to, and I just upgraded to the crush style on the passenger side a couple of months ago when I blew out the paper one from a garage install they never soaked them...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts