Firebird Nation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Pontiac Firebird Lover
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Last night I decided to clean the MAF and spray Sea Foam in the intake of my 2000 Trans Am Firehawk last night. When I got home from getting the Sea Foam back out it was completely dark out. I decided to open the hood and look in because I thought I was hearing a previous problem it'd had again, but fortunately I wasn't. However, in the process of doing so I managed to spot some of the spark from cylinder #2 arcing inside the metal shroud surrounding the plug. I checked the rest of the cylinders the best I could and didn't notice any of the rest doing it. Afterwards I checked the other side to find cylinder #1 doing exactly the same thing, just not as badly as #2. Once again that was also the only cylinder on that side that appeared to be arcing like that. I'll look more into this issue tonight with a spray bottle to see if any of the others are actually doing it or not though. However, I find it odd that 2 opposite cylinders can be arcing in exactly the same way even if one doesn't do it as often as the other. #2 did it about 70% of all hits whereas #1 did it about 40%. Is this a common problem by any chance or just a random occurrence? Either way I've been looking for an excuse to try out the MSD/NGK wire/plug combo for a while so if they need to be replaced I'd be more than happy to.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Pontiac Firebird Lover
72 Posts
Update:
Just checked them all out after spraying them with water. None of the others seem to be affected. Turns out the arc is coming from the metal shroud and is arcing onto the headers. I'm a bit perplexed how this could be possible though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,404 Posts
Are you sure those plug boots are on the plugs tight? If they are loose, the spark will look for the path of least resisistance. Check the plugs for excessive gap as well. Check the rubber boots for cracking.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts