Firebird Nation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what this pulley wheel below the alternator is and does? I had a belt that ran from it to the alternator and then over to the fan and the main drive pulleys that busted a few weeks ago. I got a replacement belt but the pulley is jammed. The car seems to run fine without it but I want to make sure. I know the attached picture sucks but the others I took are too big to upload so I'll have to take smaller ones later. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts
What's below the alternator? The belt ran from the alternator to what ever that is lower on the engine. I did the same thing Robert, lol.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you're talking about something different but maybe I'm wrong

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
I'm thinking smog pump or something pollution related.

...doesn't look like a clutch on the pully, so, not A/C, at least I don't think A/C.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely not A/C. A/C is located towards the top of the block.

And yeah I've heard that it was smog related but I don't know how. My 4Runner doesn't have anything like it, and being a more modern car I would expect it have a lot more emissions control things than the Firebird

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
That is the smog pump. Basically it pumps fresh air into the exhaust system I believe to the thought it dilutes emission gasses.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
for sure a smog pump.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That sounds really dumb honestly... So I take it I can't pass smog until I fix it right?

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
Probably not. ...I have zero experience with emissions, but I'd bet a disconnected emission device is an instant fail.

Going back to your original post though, it sounds like the pump may have seized and destroyed the belt. I'm not sure if that is something can be broken free and put back in service, if we have the ability (and instructions) to repair it, or if you should just head out now and get a replacement.

Good luck.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It might be seized. Im not sure. I remember when the belt broke I tried starting the car and thought it had fired and let go of the key but it hadnt completely fired so the thing instantly died and the belt snapped. Part of the belt got caught in the pulley when it happened. So its possible there's more belt in there jamming it but Im not sure. The problem is I can't completely pull the pulley off to inspect it. There's either some special method you need to pull it off or its just not meant to come off. I tried removing all three bolts on the front but all that did was let the front part of the pulley wheel free spin without turning the device

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
It's been a while since I had the air pump off my car. If memory serves me correctly, you must remove the pulley which is held on by bolts first. Then you can get to the bolts that hold air pump on. There are bolts in front and I think in the back of pump also.

The air lines must be also removed from pump. On my 90, there's also some kind of valve assembly attached to pump. I don't know if your 84 would have that or not. But if it does, it must be removed also.

This is just my opinion, but if I owned a 84 I would head to my local you pull it or find someone on craigslist parting a later 2.8 or 3.1 3rd gen f-body. Then I would grab the serpentine drive belt system with all accessories. The old multibelt system is for the birds.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like I said I tried removing the pulley and it just wont come off. As far as multi belt vs serpentine I prefer multibelt because when there is a failure like this it doesn't prevent me from driving the car.

Also if I'm going through the trouble of an engine swap, I'm going V8!

·
Admin - Firebird lover
1968 Convertible 400, 200 4R, 1971 Formula 400 M-22 Rock Crusher, 1984 Trans Am...........
4,305 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went through the articles and didn't really find anything except for an article of how to run a serpentine belt without using it which is the opposite of what I want to do. Thanks for posting that though Formula. I didn't know there was such an organized list of tech articles like that. May come in handy for me later

1 - 16 of 16 Posts