Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hey! I found this little white clip going into my alternator was cracked and burnt so I replaced it, where do these wires go? Which one do I connect to an after market volt meter?
Automotive lighting Bicycle handlebar Electrical wiring Electricity Audio equipment
And after removing tape i found these wires connected togethrr with metal, does this look right?
Thanks ! Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Finger Rock-climbing equipment Gas

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
Well, any ignition switched 12v would work for an aftermarket volt meter. I don't think I would run it to the alternator. That other stuff is kind of scary. It's possible it's wired correctly, but I would surely check all that with a wiring diagram. What year car? is that an olds engine?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Looks to me to be the field sensing wires that go to your alternator, but they look like a fire hazard right now. The 2 wire clip that goes to your alternator should be used, One wire goes right to the + battery wiring bus. You could jumper it over right to the big alternator wire that goes down to the starter, but then you are picking up the voltage signal right off the back of the alternator where it is the strongest. It is better to connect it back into the electrical system a bit so it can see a more accurate voltage drop when you turn on a bunch of stuff like your heater blower fan, headlights, etc. The other clip wire goes hot when you turn the key two clicks to give juice to the outside field in the alternator. If you disconnect this wire, the alternator will free wheel. When you hook it up, the alternator will feel some drag on the belt as it is being asked to put out current. Since there seems to be a new clip in the alternator just begging to be hooked up, you have what you need to put everything back the way it should be. I would inspect the wiring harness and make sure nothing else looks melted. With all this hooked up, you can see it work if you watch your volt meter when you turn on your heater blower, or your cooling fans come on. Your voltmeter will drop for a second, then recover back up to an acceptable spot. This is the voltage regulator sensing more load has been put on the the electrical system and increasing the alternator output to compensate.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry i should have explained better, -the new little harness clip I installed and replaced the old one, but further down the line these two wires join by a metal piece I thought maybe a fuse able link possibly? I'll try and find a better wiring diagram as I was looking at a 79 but this is a 77, thanks for replys!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Don't use electrical tape to cover uninsulated wires. Use heat shrink insulation.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Big wire from the post is the main power/charge wire. It connects into the wiring harness with other wires, and then goes on down to the starter solenoid big post where the +battery cable connects. Be sure this wire is a fat wire from the alternator to the starter. It is ok that other wires are joined into it. Those other wires lead to the fuse box. Sometimes all these wires are crimped together with a metal crimp connector. One of the small wires from the 2 wire clip on the alternator joins into this group of + wires crimped together. This wire is the voltage regulator sensing wire that reads how much electrical demand is on the system. That is why it is spliced in with the main + crimped group of wires. The other wire going to the 2 wire clip goes hot only when the ignition key is turned on two clicks to the RUN position. So to simplify, the fat wire from the post and one wire from the clip ARE connected (these wires are hot all the time), and the other wire from the clip goes to the ignition switch(hot only when the key is ON).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect thanks!

the green and black (crimped together with the post and red from the clip) dont seem to be very big. I'll try and trace it down to the starter and see if it's a decent size, where it joins the alternator's wires though it doesn't seem to be too big.

Thanks for your help folks. Snowy day here + no garage = :X

1 - 8 of 8 Posts