Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In trying to increase rear wheel traction I attempted to do the Herb Adams modification to my car. From what I have read this has some good success. I have not got the car out yet but I am hopeful. The Herb Adams Modification is a popular mod for 2nd Gen F-Body cars that raises the front mount location of the leaf spring. This increases anti-squat and reduces roll over steer. I supported the axel with stands and removed the 3 bolts that hold the front eye hanger to the floor pan. Removed the 1/2" bolts and the brackets came right off. I marked the location of the new holes 3/4" higher and drilled them in the Bridgeport. The top of this bracket has to be relieved to allow clearance for the front eye of the leaf spring. I went several small steps to get just enough clearance without taking to much material. If this works I am going to take them out and weld some supports on them as they do weekend the bracket. I included some pics with a tape measure so that if anyone else would like to try this they can get close this was a very nice fit. I have two extra sets of brackets so If I messed them up I wouldn't be to mad but got it right on the first try.

Gas Table Machine Wood Engineering

Automotive tire Musical instrument accessory Bumper Camera accessory Gas

Attachments

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Does this change the pinion angle? Wonder if it would apply to the first gen since essentially have similar spring pocket.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes it does change the pinion angle some, but it has to do with the roll center of the spring and axel and helps to transfer weight downward. I have read several post were 1st gen cars do the same mod. I have been looking for an article I read a few years back that had all of the physics of it explained very well. If I can find it I will post a link to it. John (NOT A TA) can probably explain it much better than I.

·
']['exXxas']['itan
759 Posts
Sweet, would lower the car a little bit. with my new springs, my car looks like a stink bug.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts