Firebird Nation banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Larry
893 Posts
Well Bob. I am going to give this a try in my Infiniti. I drive back and forth between Bristol,Tn. and Carrollton,Ky. If I do this on a weekly basis, here is my mileage for 1 week. Especially with holiday's coming up.

Bristol to Carrollton 357 miles.
Apartment in Carrollton to job and back to apartment 73 miles. X 6 days a week.
Carrolton to Bristol 357 miles.

Total mileage if I don't go out to eat or to Wallyworld. 1152 per week, roughly 4500 per month.

I change oil every other week now, so giving this a try I should be able to go 3.5-4.0 month's between changes.

I am currently spending $600.00 a year on oil changes in the Infiniti alone, not to mention my other vehicles. Will let you know. But the endorsements sound good.

·
Pontiac Firebird Oil Changer
1,626 Posts
I have been running amsoil in the daily driver a 96 pontiac grand prix and It really improved the gas mileage in it. Don't know about the GTA because it still runs like crap until I get the egr valve changed by my friend. I won't probably be driving the GTA until next year. On sat oct 17th it will go into storage. I won't being getting the car out until april 10 2010. I was running Valovine Durablend in the grand prix. I'm impressed with the Amsoil. The car gets better mileage and better performance as well.

·
Premium Member
36,186 Posts
I have been running amsoil in the daily driver a 96 pontiac grand prix and It really improved the gas mileage in it. Don't know about the GTA because it still runs like crap until I get the egr valve changed by my friend. I won't probably be driving the GTA until next year. On sat oct 17th it will go into storage. I won't being getting the car out until april 10 2010. I was running Valovine Durablend in the grand prix. I'm impressed with the Amsoil. The car gets better mileage and better performance as well.
Funny you mention the improved fuel mileage Steve, because that was one of the first things I noticed too when I made the switch.

·
Registered
417 Posts
is this safe in my LS1 that has never had synthetic in it....and has like 100k-120k miles on it? I heard somewhere that it can eat away at the tubing or something..

Lemme know bob...I may hit u up

·
Premium Member
36,186 Posts
is this safe in my LS1 that has never had synthetic in it....and has like 100k-120k miles on it? I heard somewhere that it can eat away at the tubing or something..

Lemme know bob...I may hit u up
Yes, you can use it on your LS1, and no, it doesn't eat away at any tubing. I am using it in my Durango, which now has 105,000 + miles on it. Does your engine currently have any oil leaking problems? If not, then your good to go. Just shoot me a PM if you want a quote.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great info Bob, I read an artical a long time ago on oil filters being the main cause of oil changes. You should change your oil every 3k because the filter can no longer do its job even when the cheapest oil can still go another 2k. So now I buy Mobile 1 fully synthetic oil at Walmart for $22.00 for 5qrts and I never change my oil any more, I only change the filter evey 3k and top off with oil. I did this to my new Ford f150 until i totaled it 105k later. When I went to the boneyard the next day to get my stuff out of the truck I noticed that valvecover from the Ford 300cid 6 banger was ripped open exposing a factory clean head and valvetrain. I was so impressed with what I saw that I've been doing filter changes this way ever sence.

I don't know if this is wrong or wright but I do know what I saw that day. One spottless motor.

I read great things about Amsoil and would use it if it was as cheap as Mobile1..

·
Premium Member
36,186 Posts
Great info Bob, I read an artical a long time ago on oil filters being the main cause of oil changes. You should change your oil every 3k because the filter can no longer do its job even when the cheapest oil can still go another 2k. So now I buy Mobile 1 fully synthetic oil at Walmart for $22.00 for 5qrts and I never change my oil any more, I only change the filter evey 3k and top off with oil. I did this to my new Ford f150 until i totaled it 105k later. When I went to the boneyard the next day to get my stuff out of the truck I noticed that valvecover from the Ford 300cid 6 banger was ripped open exposing a factory clean head and valvetrain. I was so impressed with what I saw that I've been doing filter changes this way ever sence.

I don't know if this is wrong or wright but I do know what I saw that day. One spottless motor.

I read great things about Amsoil and would use it if it was as cheap as Mobile1..
Oil has a life cycle too and should be changed out at the recommended manufacturers intervals. An oil can only last as long as it's additives last. For example, TBN (total Base Number) is the amount of additive left in an oil sample and is measured during oil analysis. If this TBN gets too low, then your oil will not be able to protect your internal engine components. Some of these additives are anti-wear additives, corrosion resistance additives, oxidation resistance additives, anti-foaming additives, viscosity modifiers, dispersant, and detergents. Oils have to do a lot more than just lubricate an engine, they have to control things such as foaming and sludge, and they have to have the ability to flow in extremely cold temperatures (pour point) and not break down in extremely high temperatures (thermal breakdown). None of these things have anything to do with the filter. Don't get me wrong, having a good filter is very important, but it's only half of the equation.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was told the same thing by other people after I read that artical but did it anyway.....The engine ran great right up to the end...I wish I could have pulled a couple of main caps just to see how the bearings were. The engine ran great right up to the end!

·
Premium Member
36,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I was told the same thing by other people after I read that artical but did it anyway.....The engine ran great right up to the end...I wish I could have pulled a couple of main caps just to see how the bearings were. The engine ran great right up to the end!
Anecdotal, but I personally think you were lucky that you didn't run into any major engine problems, no matter what brand of oil you were running.

·
Larry
893 Posts
Bob, have you done any research on the antifreeze by Amsoil ? From what little is out there to read, seems like a coolant that cleans your system as well? Also could you shoot me a pm about cost on the oil. For a Jeep with a 5.2 liter, and an Infiniti with a dohc 3.0 Thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
i know that you should change your oil every 3k or 3 month but thas says it can go all year? soooo who is going to cover my engine when i hear it knocking or see that the cylinders are scored up badly. id have to see some testing and warranties before id run it in an 8 thousand dollar engine it to be honest.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Damn bob that was some ranting on oil...LoL, but Cool I will pick up a case and a filter or two from you soon, Been working 2 jobs I drive 52.45+ miles a day. ( + is for if go to lunch at work )

I always wanted to try AMsoil but in houston theres only 4 places that I know that sell it

ASAA racing - Pro AM Motorsports - SGP Racing - some place in humble/kingwood they are charging 10-12$ a pint, I still think the 3-5k millage change is recomended I can go a while before the oil light comes on and I ride full syntho moble 1, I try to change it before the light comes on!

A sherif officer I used to work with changed from castro GTX full syntho to mobile 1 full syntho to AMSoil I asked him how was it he said it rides smoother and was giving better response and gas millage -> he was in a chevy SUV -> going to say Tahoe LS ( cop SUV ) he also told me he could get 20 to 25K out of 1 oil change but had the complete oil pan drianed / removed and clened ( real oil change ) and it cost him almost 100$ I asked him why he paid so much and don't the state pays for it... told me no since he drives it home. Im still to this day doubting him but meh, its kinda hard to swllow 20K+ miles but Im willing to go a while on it. Since I been working on and owning cars I know that what you get is ussally what you pay for... Ive never used wal-mart brand oil or any cheap house brand oils... Ironicly wal-mart, napa, auto zone, easy-rileys, and advance auto sell house brand oils... tho there nascar and funny cars they sponsor don't! use it....?

send me an e-mail or PM on how to order.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been an independent Amsoil dealer for several years. I have spend a lot of time researching motor oils over many years and listening to mechanics opinions on what they "think" oil does and why it needs to be changed. Amsoil has impressed me with results, not advertising hype! I use Amsoil lubricants, in every vehicle I own and can personally testify Amsoil products perform better than any others I have ever used including Mobil 1. Amsoil was the first in synthetics, the first to guarantee a one year or 25,000 mile oil change interval ( YES that's TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND MILES! ) and the first oil company to have a written warrantee on their product. Does any other oil company even offer a written warrantee?
I could write about how good Amsoil is here for way too long, but instead I will simply invite anyone interested in researching Amsoil products to go to and "click" around on the Amsoil site you will link to from there.
I use Amsoil 5-30w in my 1997 Dodge 1/2 ton van witch currently has 188,000 miles showing and change it at 20,000 mile intervals along with an Amsoil oil filter witch also is guaranteed for 25,000 miles to go along with their oil. The van has the 3.9L V/6 and avreages 16 plus mpgs.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I was wondering if Bob ever got the results of the Blackstone Analysis of the oil?

21 - 40 of 41 Posts