Firebird Nation banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,186 Posts
I am now selling AMSOIL as an AMSOIL dealer, and can save you big bucks if you decide you want to give AMSOIL synthetic motor oil a try. After countless hours of researching synthetic oil, and AMSOIL specifically, I believe AMSOIL is indeed a great product and worthy of being sold on FBN, and can increase your engines lifespan, increase your fuel mileage, and help you save big bucks in the process. It's clearly and win/win situation for those who take advantage of the AMSOIL advantage. In addition, it is supported by independent testing and oil analysis.

I first started by scouring the website Bob is the oil guy where they post up the actual oil analysis of different oils by actual users. After reading countless independent results and viewing the actual oil Analysis charts, it became apparent that AMSOIL is indeed a great product and not a snake oil as I had once assumed. I also found this study performed by curious folks as well, with extensive oil analysis performed every 1k miles. They didn't even use the best AMSOIL you can buy, the SSO.

Another interesting thing I noticed about Amsoil was the fact that in it's own testing, AMSOIL actually names the other brands in the testing group. First of all, all the other companies who performed their own testing would only state that the other oils they were testing against were "other leading synthetic brands", but never actually named, names. This is telling because if they name names and lie, they will get sued by the other companies. Since Amsoil hasn't been sued by those who it names in it's testing, it's safe to assume they are telling the truth. Of course these studies are biased (the ones performed by AMSOIL, but there are countless independent ones as well), but they must hold some truth as they would be sued in a heartbeat if they were publishing false results. Exxon/Mobile certainly have the ability to fund such a lawsuit if they felt their product was getting a bad rap or being tested in an unfair manner. Am I wrong in this assessment? Of course not.

Another reason I have decided to switch to AMSOIL has to do with the extended draining intervals and long term savings. Anyone can look back at my previous posts on this topic and see that I used to be very critical of the extra cost of synthetic motor oil and critical of extended drain intervals. I asked other members about being an AMSOIL dealer about two years ago on this forum, but at the time it seemed like snake oil and I didn't have the information to make the jump. After reading the above long term study on both AMSOIL and Mobile 1, and after reading this quote from an independent study, "Engine wear actually decreases as oil ages.", I realized that not only is an extended oil change intervals cost effective, it's also good for your engine! This statement has been substantiated in testing conducted by Ford Motor Co. and ConocoPhillips, and reported in SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3119. What this means is that compulsive oil changers may actually cause more engine wear than the people who let their engine's oil get some age on it. After reading this with an open mind, I have had to rethink my position regarding extended oil drain intervals and AMSOIL. I was always of the opinion that synthetic oil was better, but not so good as to be worth the extra cost. I would still hold that view, well maybe, IF we were talking about changing the synthetic every 3k to 5k, but if you follow the AMSOIL (or mobile one for that matter), extended change intervals, you can get top of the line synthetic for 1/2 the price of a cheap dino oil (when calculated on an annual basis, see below). Or, if you are compulsive about changing your oil, you can still cut the extended interval in half and spend as much as you would on cheap dino oil, but get all the benefits of a good synthetic motor oil. But even with changing your oil every 3k to 5k, there are benefits of synthetic that you might want to consider such as pour point, thermal integrity, etc. Plus, I won't have to get under that POS dodge every three months to change the oil anymore, so I am making the switch next oil change!

On a related note, I have also found on the overall filtration efficiency SAE HS806 test, that AMSOIL oil filters actually performed at the top of the chain as well. "Mobil 1 and Pure 1 both achieved 93% overall filtration efficiency on the SAE HS806 test. AMSOIL scored a 94%". Therefore AMSOIL not only makes the best oil on the market according to all the studies and testing I have seen, but they also the top filtering oil filter. And once you get the filter in your hands, you will be able to feel the difference. The AMSOIL oil filter feels very solid.

Anyway, I had to make sure my research was solid before making the leap into offering AMSOIL along with the other products I am offering. I knew that if I was going to post this on this forum, I better have done my homework and posted up some actual proof, as we have a very intelligent and skeptical (I am referring to healthy skepticism) group here.

So, if you want to get AMSOIL, the best oil on the market hands down, visit the buy now link and I will give you a quote, which will be well below retail. I am thoroughly convinced that AMSOIL is the best oil on the market today, and it will not only have you money on oil changes, but will probably save you ton's of money on costly engine repairs due to it's superior protection!

Cost Analysis:

Many believe it's a waste of money to use synthetic, and I used to believe the same thing.

Lemme see if I can write up a comparison on the fly:

I currently use Chevron Dyno oil in my Durango. The cost at the local store is 3.00 per quart (not including tax).

My Durango takes 5 quarts, so that is a total of $15 per oil change for oil. I also use a K&N filter, which costs $11.95 (round it to $12.00 even for simplicity), which brings my total to $27.00 for an oil change.

$27.00 per oil change.

It is recommended that I change this oil every 3k miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.

That would be $27.00 x 4 = $108 per year on oil changes with filter. Remember, this is a cheap dyno oil, and not a synthetic.

Now lets take a quick look at the costs of a premium synthetic oil like Amsoil. Amsoil, for its 1 year or 35,000 mile oil costs about $8.00 per quart (no tax) if you buy it by the case of 12, but lets use $9 per quart. That is about $45.00 per oil change. The filter, which also lasts 12 months costs another $13.00, for a total of $58.00 per year for oil changes.

So Amsoil for 12 months = $58.00 compared to Chevron which costs $108. I could use a premium synthetic and save $50 dollars a year!

Lets say you let your car go 5K miles between oil changes with the dyno Chevron. That is still $54.00 a year for the Chevron, so you spend 4 dollars more a year for a premium synthetic and don't have to deal with changing your oil every 5k miles!

But lets make this fair and compare an synthetic to a synthetic. How about Mobile Ones Extended Performance synthetic, good for 15,000 miles. This oil costs $8.00 per quart (rounded up a few cents and not including tax). For my car, that would cost $40.00 per oil change, just like Amsoil, but, amsoil can go for 35,000 miles, so we need to double that too $80.00 + 2 filters at $13.00 per filter = $106 for two oil changes.

So, to take the mobile one to 35,000 miles, you have to pay $106.00 compared to the $58.00 for Amsoil, yet again saving a total of $48.00 or nearly half of what you spend with Mobile 1. Actually, I think I may just head over and sign up as a dealer right now!

Now, my math could be wrong, so if it is, please let me know, but as it looks right now, Amsoil is a steal!

Extended Drain Interval Info:

If we never made any progress in the lubrication industry, I would agree, but we have made leaps in terms of lubrication technology. Here is a good little writeup on the topic:

"I believe the whole point of using a premium synthetic oil is peace of mind. I like knowing that I can trust the oil in my car to protect my engine. I like knowing that 300,000 miles down the road, I won't necessarily have to start looking for another vehicle (unless I'M ready). I also like knowing that when 20,000 miles rolls around, I still have a few thousand miles left to find time to change the oil.

Now, you're probably saying to yourself, "This guy is nuts! There's no way that an oil could possibly last for 20,000 miles."

Well, if you don't mind, I'd like to take a little time to, first of all, prove that I'm not in need of psychiatric care. And secondly, I hope that you'll allow me to explain why I believe that a premium synthetic oil CAN last for 20,000 miles or more.

I used to be a pretty regular 3,000 mile oil changer. I had a very hard time believing that an oil could possibly last longer than 5,000 or at best 7,000 miles. Changing at 3,000 miles was very safe and "assured" me of no mechanical breakdowns.

When I started looking at synthetics, my perspective changed a little. I figured, if I was going to go out and buy a $20,000 new car, I wanted to get the most for my money. Just protecting against breakdown for a couple hundred thousand miles wasn't enough. I don't take my car to the mechanic and hope he doesn't break it. I take my car to the mechanic so that he can make it better.

The same can be true of your oil. Let's talk about oil changes first. If it's necessary to change oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, then so be it. We should just do it, and accept that it's an integral part of keeping our vehicles from breaking down.

But, if it's not necessary, why do it? Just because our Dad did? My Dad used to listen to 8-track tapes too. Now we've got these nifty little CD's that sound clear as a bell and last pretty much forever. Am I going to listen to 8-track tapes? Probably not.

I don't change my oil every 3,000 miles anymore either.

There are only a few basic reasons why it is necessary to change your oil, and they all, in the end, have to do with decreased protection of your engine and decreased performance. If these elements can be minimized, then there would be little or no reason to change the oil."

Read the rest here

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
It is a very good product Bob, all the major engine builders around here suggest it 100%.
Hope it goes well for you.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I use to be a dealer, but got out of it, not enough time. But very good product, and i ran it for a year with the 6 month filter change. Oil still looked good after a year. PLUS had a little better performance.

·
Premium Member
36,186 Posts
I use to be a dealer, but got out of it, not enough time. But very good product, and i ran it for a year with the 6 month filter change. Oil still looked good after a year. PLUS had a little better performance.
Good to hear Stephen, I am actually looking forward to the extended drains as I put a lot of miles on my Durango and it seems like I am having to change the oil every 2 - 3 months (5k miles). Since we live far from town, it's about 150 miles round trip to go to town. It gets extremely hot here too, so it will be nice to know there is a good oil in there too.

·
Registered
846 Posts
How is the Amsoil for the older engines. The newer oils do not have a high enough zinc content as needed for a flat tappet motor. Now I use a ZDDP additive and curious with the zinc content of the oil. I have read that Amsoil no longer supplies the ZDDP additive inthe oil. I have searched the website and cannot find the amounts. The acceptable limit is around 1400ppm of ZDDP to oil ratio to eliminate scoring from what I have read. Do you have a source to confirm this Bob and if so what the ZDDP level is.

Thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
Bob, sent you a PM

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks for the info Bob.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I was going to ask harry's question but I see it's answered already

So how much does this stuff run for?

·
Premium Member
36,186 Posts
I was going to ask harry's question but I see it's answered already

So how much does this stuff run for?
Do you mean, how much does it cost, or how long does it last? If you want to know how much it costs, just shoot me a PM with what you are interested in and I will get you a good price quote.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Do you mean, how much does it cost, or how long does it last? If you want to know how much it costs, just shoot me a PM with what you are interested in and I will get you a good price quote.
Sending you a PM right now lol

·
Your Master
3,195 Posts
Waiting on ur results back To make my decision... Can't wait for the results!!

Cowboy

·
Premium Member
36,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Waiting on ur results back To make my decision... Can't wait for the results!!

Cowboy
Me too Matt, and I am dying to see if it's already shot or if I can take it to 17k or even 20k miles. It would be awesome if I could take it another 10k miles, although I am skeptical.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
ive never heard of it before this thread just not sure if i could bring myself to changing oil brands i been a die hard Kendall user since before i was driving but now they have switched to a synthetic blend and im not really liking the end results

if you have good luck with this oil then i might try it out as well please keep us posted

1 - 20 of 41 Posts