Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

I was thinking about swapping my standard hood for a shaker or formula hood. I like both aesthetically about the same, so its a matter of function for me. if I were to get one of either that actually functioned (not just a cosmetic scoop), which would take in more air?

I'm not building this car for anything too serious, just want to have a fun, fast car to drive. does it make a difference at all as far as intake goes? I'm thinking that a formula hood would be more direct, and it also has two scoops, not one, but I'm speculating that there might be a sort-of cowl-induction effect for the shaker as well..

not too big a deal, just at the idea stage right now. don't need any specific numbers, just want to know what you think would be better at pushing more air through the carburetor.

thanks,

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,038 Posts
On the late 2nd gens the stock cool air intake from the radiator core support will work better for performance than the Formula or Shaker opened up.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
If you have the entire shaker kit with hood gasket and cut open the vents that's pure cool air and if you run a q jet it sounds awesome when you step on it

I don't recall the formula hood being functional like earlier ones but could be wrong

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Even if you could open up and make a functional formula hood for your car, it would be a nightmare in mods. Go with the shaker setup.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
In my case I am glad my car has a shaker. The room up under the scoop I am using for the fuel injection set up I have, which I would not be able to close my hood if not for the shaker. Also, the scoop is just fun to watch when you drive around with it rocking when I shift, and the scoop door opening when you nail it. As far as the ram air effect, I don't know which is better, but I'd guess any performance gains come from the engine getting "cold air" for the most part. So weather you get the cold air from a shaker, Formula hood intakes, or a single duct pipe grabbing air from behind a headlight, they all feed the engine cold air. That pretty much leaves the visual part as the deciding factor in the end.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts