Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I recently purchased a 1975 firebird thats been sitting for at least 20 years,I have been able to locate most of the parts from 2nd gen suppliers except for an affordable steering column. The one in the car is gutted from the ignition housing up. Is there any place that sells an aftermarket column to fit our cars? something in the 200-300 dollar price range? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,John R. Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
Checked with a 2nd gen supplier. The GM stock columns they have are a different part number between firebird and camaro.

Can't say about aftermarket as they list the same part number for 69-81 firebird & camaro . I imagine this is a special order item where you tell them the make, model, and year. Then they build you a column that fits your specific car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aus78 the column in this car is unsalvagable,The ignition lock housing is completely busted,The DD coupler has been cracked and rewelded at some point in history,The PO screwed this up beyond repair,For looks and safety sake im going to have to replace the entire column in this car.I have looked for a decent used column and they all run between 200-250.I think the better option will be to just go with the reman for 370.00

·
Trans-Am Guy
167 Posts
There are places that rebuild columns, you might check into that option. I don't have much faith in aftermarket columns, GM columns are better built.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts