Firebird Nation banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • I had an alarm installed today. The lock works, but unlock only works for about 15 seconds after the car is turned off. Other than that, I have to remote start it for the unlock to work from the key fob. If I get in the car and unlock it and lock it, the key fob will unlock it as well like nothing is wrong. It’s sort of annoying because I got an alarm to have keyless entry and now I only have an alarm. Installer says it’s because my security light is on. Any advice?

·
Administrator
15,115 Posts
Did you check the Service Parts Identification label to see if the car had keyless entry (RPO “AU0”) when it left the factory? We discussed it in your earlier thread:

If not, might be the new alarm/keyless entry has interface issues with the retained accessory power (RAP) feature included in the body control module (BCM). That system provides power to the radio, power windows, and door locks for a brief period after the key is turned to “OFF”. You might need to review the power door lock, RAP, and BCM operation in the 1998 factory service manual. They may have made changes to the system after the 1997 model year…. I haven’t looked at the systems in detail past the 1997 model year.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you check the Service Parts Identification label to see if the car had keyless entry (RPO “AU0”) when it left the factory? We discussed it in your earlier thread:

If not, might be the new alarm/keyless entry has interface issues with the retained accessory power (RAP) feature included in the body control module (BCM). That system provides power to the radio, power windows, and door locks for a brief period after the key is turned to “OFF”. You might need to review the power door lock, RAP, and BCM operation in the 1998 factory service manual. They may have made changes to the system after the 1997 model year…. I haven’t looked at the systems in detail past the 1997 model year.
It didn’t come with the factory keyless entry. I don’t see the code and the key fobs wouldn’t connect to the car.

·
Registered
Pontiac Firebird 1994 3,4l L32
83 Posts
Any indication on the dashboard is not related to the keyless entry system (regardless of whether this system was installed on the car or not). Ask your alarm installer, let him study the electrical system of this car and connect the alarm correctly!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any indication on the dashboard is not related to the keyless entry system (regardless of whether this system was installed on the car or not). Ask your alarm installer, let him study the electrical system of this car and connect the alarm correctly!
I’m gonna call him on Monday and see. I just hate that he is an hour and a half away. Gonna check the local shops and see if they know anything about it.

·
Registered
Pontiac Firebird 1994 3,4l L32
83 Posts
The store employees do not know how the electrician connected the alarm to you, unless they can give some recommendations on how to connect it. The alarm unit and activators must be connected bypassing the BCM. If your electrician doesn't understand why, then look elsewhere.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The store employees do not know how the electrician connected the alarm to you, unless they can give some recommendations on how to connect it. The alarm unit and activators must be connected bypassing the PCM. If your electrician doesn't understand why, then look elsewhere.
Okay. Thank you. He installed a remote start, backup camera, speakers, head unit, and the alarm / remote start for $500. I know it was a risk, but everything with the exception of my unlock works fine. I just Don’t know why it will unlock like nothing is wrong from the fob after the remote starter is engaged, or if I hop In the car and unlock it manually, it works from the key fob.

·
DELCO NERD
1993 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, LT1 5.7L V8
2,032 Posts
If everything works except the unlock button, I am going to surmise that the system was installed incorrectly. The locking and unlocking functions are controlled by the "brain" of the alarm system. I encountered a similar situation when I retrofitted a factory keyless entry system into my Grand Prix. It was purely user error on my part. (It was my first attempt. 😊)

Reactions: Alex

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If everything works except the unlock button, I am going to surmise that the system was installed incorrectly. The locking and unlocking functions are controlled by the "brain" of the alarm system. I encountered a similar situation when I retrofitted a factory keyless entry system into my Grand Prix. It was purely user error on my part. (It was my first attempt. 😊)
I am Gonna take it back to him. I’m enjoying the system and the car A LOT though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts