Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 2000 Firebird 3.8l auto trans. About a month ago it was driving fine. Then I noticed a reduced power light would come on then dissapear shortly (within seconds). One night I went to start my car and it wouldn't rev when I stepped on the gas pedal(runs on idle if I let go of brake) when it had been working fine earlier that day. I have changed the spark plug wires , distibutor,computer and recently the throttle body and can't seen to find the problem.I also check the fuses under the hood and on the side of the dash and everything looks to be fine. Please help need to get this fbody back on the road ASAP! THANK YOU in advance for your help!!!

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,425 Posts
Stop playing parts replacement roulette, and scan it for codes. May be related to the electronic throttle control, but why guess?

How did you replace the distributor?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Parts roulette is fun. Especially when you install a distributor on an L36. lol :hystlaugh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I currently have a full time job and part time student and haven't been doing the work myself. My grandfather is a mechanic(not a technician) and he has been struggling with the car. I am planning on taking it to a shop to get it diagnosed, but recently been so busy haven't had any time. So I'm guessing it doesn't have a distributor? Lol, whatever the electrical starting system is he changed a couple of them. He said there is no signal passing thru the throttle???

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,425 Posts
Your throttle is a totally electronic system. There is no throttle cable. The accel pedal is attached to the Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module. A potentiometer tells the TAC Module what the accel pedal position is. The TAC Module integrates accel pedal position with idle speed control, cruise control, and (if equipped) traction control input. The Module sends a signal to the throttle body actuator, which contains an actuator motor to position the throttle blades, and two throttle position sensors to feed back actual throttle blade position to the TAC Module.

Yes, there is a "signal passing thru the throttle".

I'm not telling you this is a definite problem, just mentioning that it could be the cause. There are numerous trouble codes associated with the throttle control system, and not all of them turn on the SES light.

You have to scan it for codes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it! I'm most likely going to take it this Friday and going to pull up the codes. Thanks for the enlightment. I will keep you guys posted and will let you know what is the problem if fixed within this weekend or the upcoming.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts