Firebird Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I changed the oil in my new 77 firebird, chocolate milk. Obviously a coolant leak. Rad does not have oil in it. And there is no overflow.
Car has a 305 gM (5.0lg, 80-84 2 bolt) .

I'm not sure where it's leaking and I'm not sure how to go about finding this issue, but my plan is depending on the weather this weekend IM going to attempt to remove manifold and heads and look for an obvious leakage spot in the gaskets. I plan on eventually upgrading to a 350 or better but it's not in the books this summer-. I read that most of these 305 parts should bolt onto a 350 ?

Anyone have any tips on going forward with this leakage, and any info on slapping things onto a 350?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Never good news but for upgrades, the 305 to 350 chev can't be beaten. Get some power it never had then bolt the stock brackets and aircleaner on, make it appear stock.

·
Administrator
3,302 Posts
Way to check for water is to remove all spark plugs and crank engine over for about 10 seconds. If coolant leak into combustion chamber is bad enough, coolant will come out of affected cylinder or cylinders via the spark plug hole.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered a head and manifold gasket kit. I also found a 350 block for 200$. Should I just get that and move over my 305 parts and order crank and cam / piston rebuild kit and start fresh or may it be worth while to change these gaskets and flush the oil ? Thanks!

Too rainy today to pull the engine apart

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I'm confused. So when I drained my oil it came out like chocolate milk, I told a mechanic friend of mine and he said it should have come out coolant first then oil, not just chocolate color to start. He Said it's probably just condensation . Here is the oil when I drained it
Rectangle Gadget Communication Device Automotive lighting Material property
Cheked valve cover and it was clean.
And then I changed the oil and a few days later I checked again, after running for a while
Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Auto part Motor vehicle
Clean other than a tiny bit of white in the corner with condensation .
Old owner told me car hasn't had oil change in a couple years ,

What are your thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,039 Posts
I don't see colors the way everyone else does but it looks like old Brad Penn oil to me. Your friend is correct, water usually separates and will drain out first.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well that would be a huge relief !

I could hear a weird ticking so i adjusted the valves, it was still there so i used a stethoscope/rachet and found it to be coming from the distributor cap. the engine idles great, but as soon as you give it throttle and hold it it runs really rough and spits/misfires alot, i touched the wire tops on the dist and i got a shock from one, i checked the wires to the plugs and one was perticularily very loose, when i pulled it the ticking got worse.

I'm just going to change the cap/rotor and the wires. anyone ever heard of this?

·
Registered
'70 Esprit TA clone Pontiac 400
1,039 Posts
Sometimes a "ticking" sound from distributor cap/wires is actually a spark jumping a gap. If you fire the car up in the dark you may be able to see it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
does this look like oil floating in the rad? I hope not!

checked the dipstick it's got a little tiny bit of white cloud on it today but i'm sure there would still be lots of condensation still in there.

Window Automotive lighting Iris Rim Sink

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well today it warmed up (+8 c)! So I took the firebird for her first real drive.

I changed the spark wires first because of misfiring and it runs much better. but when Accelerating, it accelerates rough and backfires or puff's through the carb. at one point it stalled when it backfired.

Started right up again, but what could this be?

In addition to the issues in the beginning of this thread:

The fuel is old, mixed with half a tank of new fuel.

the car is not smoking.

The carb looks very dirty ontop when removing the air filter.

Took a very long time to warm up and as soon as i started driving it droped the temp back down next to nothing. ill check if there's actually a thermostat installed tommorow. no fan clutch.

My question is, where should I spend my money first on diagnosing this? (aka, what's the most common issue causing this?)

thanks again !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts