Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys n gals, I recently purchased a 99 Firebird convertible. When I bought it seller had just put fuel pump in it because it was running rough. On fire up car ran smooth as silk, but after it heats up it starts running really rough. On inspection of the oil water is mixing in, I know this sounds like a blown head gasket but if you let it cool down it fires rite up and purrs like a kitten. Just seeing if anyone has encountered this and or confirm blown head gasket before I start repairs in that direction. Just seemed puzzling to me that it would run so smooth until thermostat opens.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Don't take this as carved in stone, but I believe that I've read that intake manifold on 3800 can cause water leaks. Don't take my word on it as I know very little about the engine. Do some research.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been on several forums about this and that is one of the possibilities. Gonna do compression test n pressure test radiator today will post results. I am not familiar with this engine myself have had turbo regale in past with 3.8 but this seems to b totally different setup. Again thanks for reply.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Played around with this thing today, found oil in radiator so its mixing both ways. Smells like gas also in oil, so tomorrow start calling around for new motor. Anyone on here have a good 3.8 for 99 that they would sale. Anyway thanks.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Try this salvage yard search engine. You can search your whole state if your willing to drive to pick an engine up. http://www.car-part.com

Craigslist is another good place to search for an engine.

Just read a thread on a forum where f-body 3.8 owner used a cheaper to buy front wheel drive 3.8 in his f-body. I believe he had to use heads and other external parts from the f-body 3.8. But it was a successful swap.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Checked it out. Everything I find is around $1000 can get what I have rebuilt all new for $1000 gonna go that route, got estimate of $2200 turnkey job.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I replaced my 3.8 this summer. I have an 00 and put in a 99. I paid $650 and promised to return my core, which I did. I called around to several local yards to find a decent one. What I learned is, what I'm sure you already know, that lots of teenagers drive the piss out of these and a lot of the 3.8s do not run well. If you go to a yard try to find one with a warranty, mileage, compression test numbers. That being said the one I bought had a 6 month warranty and a tag that said good. It is from a yard that backs up its parts though.

Also, try your best to find the same year. The harness, injectors, heads were all different in the 99 from 00. Not a big deal to switch them over while the motor is out though. Also, I found a local guy with a 94 Z28 that he was selling for $700. Buy a smashed parts car use what you need and sell the rest. It is not too hard to find a running 3.8 F-body for less than $1000.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am watching craigslist and iwanna. Also have buddy in several camaro forums watching. Thanx for replying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts