Firebird Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm sure this one has come up before, so I'm hoping that you may offer me some useful suggestions:

We just took the 98 on holidays and it spent 3 days in non-stop rain.

The RHS t-top has a leak at the front and back where it joins to the roof.

When driving, there is no problem, but it seems to be pooling the water, so when I brake or accelerate, the water drips inside, more comes in at the front than the back, so it's a good thing I was wearing my wet weather jacket !!

Any suggestions, solutions to fix this problem?
LHS seems ok, so it would be wonderful to sort of the RHS.

Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
I'd take both tops off to inspect the weatherstripping on the car and the weatherstripping on the t- top. If it's torn or rotten you will need to replace. If in good shape try some dressing for rubber.

I treat the weatherstripping on my 95 with silicon brake fluid. Do it several times a year. My 20+ year old trans am is high and dry no matter how hard it rains.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd just go ACDelco, that way you know it fits right.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I managed to sort out the leak. What I found was that water was getting in through the gap between the rubber that is on the outer edge of the t-top and the plastic weather strip. What I needed to do was to seal between the rubber and the metal that it pushes into, across the outer edge, as far to the outer edge as possible, without the sealant being visible when the rubber goes in.

This really sorted it out quite well for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts