Firebird Nation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm having problems with my power door locks not working. The driver's side door or the passengers side door won't unlock but they will lock the doors. I have some other problems with the driver's side door like the key lock not working either and I'm thinking this is part of the problem. I also have the radio/power window problem sometimes but I saw the fix for that in other topics. I just bought the car and I love it but I'm kinda running into all the lil problems they don't tell you about now. Anyway I would really appreciate any help I could get. I'm not much of a mechanic but I do my best. oh I also posted this in another forum here so sorry if this is repost.

Thanks

Todd

·
Administrator
3,424 Posts
You probably have a combination of mechanical and electronic problems. The door lock is the mechanical problem. The power door locks not unlocking could be due to BCM problems. Or it could be actuators themselves, or wiring.

When you push unlock button, do you hear actuator noise like you do when you push lock which works. If yes, then something in actuator movement is off.

If no, then BCM or wiring is likely problem. I'm thinking BCM because you are having radio and power window problems also.

We have the 98 factory service manual in 4th gen tech section. It will help you in troubleshooting the problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no noise when i push unlock. when i push button to lock i hear clicking noise(which i think is actuators?) but when i push to unlock i dont hear anything. the radio/window problem is intermittent. they wont work for a bit and then it will come back on in a bit. i saw the fix for that in another post. i know the key lock is mechanical. i think the bar is off inside for the key lock. if i put my fingers inside i can actually move the little bar for the key lock back and forth(im guessing im gonna have to take the door apart to fix that). i actually have a bunch of little problems to fix with this car. Im just trying to get the locks fixed first because when i lock the car i have to unlock the passenger side door to get back in and i dont have a remote for it (something else on my little wish list i want to get for this car). Anyway thanks for the help. i just dont want to be a pain in anyones backside with all my little problems with this car. I appreciate the help.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,084 Posts
One of the door lock switches may be shorted in the unlock position. Try unplugging each one and see if then the other switch works to unlock. You can access the switches by pulling up on the door controls panel.

Reactions: Injuneer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i unplugged each switch one at a time and tried the other one and i still got the same result where they wouldn't unlock. i saw in one of the other posts about testing the courtesy fuse so i tried that.

i have 10v at the courtesy fuse and when i press lock it goes to 0 but when i press unlock it does nothing. could this have something to do with it? i also think i might have an afermarket security system in it because my security is always on. i want to get that fixed too and if i do put it back to the factory security system when i can.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,084 Posts
I went for the easiest fix first.

...maybe the aftermarket alarm is in the way. Look for any wire splices at the BCM connectors under the dash on the passenger side, See the topic about the BCM repair for photos of the location.

I deleted the comments about the relay because there are two relays, driver and passenger side. and I think it's unlikely both are bad.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,084 Posts
Getting a remote pendant would help you tell if the problem is with the switch circuit or the actuator circuit.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok it will be a bit before i can get back to it again. i work in a resturant and i usually work the weekend. so ill need it running for the weekend to get me back and forth to work but as soon as i can ill look at it again and get back to you, probably tues or wensday. im gonna try the BCM repair when i can. ill try to work on getting a remote too.

·
Administrator
3,424 Posts
I have a couple of the clickers that I can send you. Both are supposed to be good, but not having a car that uses this type, I can't test. You will need new batteries. PM me with you mailing address if you want these.

And remind me of what you need when you PM me, as I deal with many people and forget many things.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper Font
Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper Font
sorry its taken me a while to get back here. the weather hasn't really been cooperating with me. its been raining and and cold here this week. I didn't get to take the whole thing apart but I did drop the bottom underneath the glove compartment and i was looking for wire splices but I didn't really see any. I took a picture of it. I'm going to have to do the bcm repair anyway because I have the power window/radio problem. I'm thinking I have an after market alarm because my security light is always lit up and I have stickers on the passenger and driver's side window that says safe guard. I want to get the factory security system fixed too when I can. Sea dog said he would send me a remote he has(thanks Sea Dog) if I don't get that one soon ill order one online. when I can ill take out the glove compartment and see if I can do the bcm.(weather permitting) do you think the problem could be in the bcm Gary?

Attachments

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,084 Posts
It's possible the problem is with a relay in the BCM. I have never heard of one going bad however. The connectors of interest are the ones to the right of the area in the photo.

·
Administrator
15,264 Posts
If the "SECURITY" light is always on, it can mean the BCM has determined that one of the components in the PASS-Key system (which is largely in the BCM) has failed. It is allowing the engine to start without using the PASS-Key system.

Yes, someone could have hacked up the existing PASS-Key system if they installed an aftermarket alarm, but the "SECURITY" light being on does not mean with any certainty that that an aftermarket alarm is present.

·
Administrator
15,264 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
just got them Sea Dog. thursday that is. Thanks. i will check that website fred. thought it was after market alarm. if it isn't im kinda glad because i would like to get the factory security system fixed in it anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Just picked up a 1998 Firebird yesterday, one of the first issues needing to be fixed is similar to this situation. The guy we bought it from said that the key fob doesn't work because of the aftermarket alarm system being disconnected - does this sound right? Also, the key will not go in the driver side lock - is this a completely separate and totally mechanical issue? Then when I used the key to open the passenger door an alarm went off. I'm assuming that must be the factory equipped alarm?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.