Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 96 w3800 just started acting "flooded" on cold morning, really hard start sometimes just crank and die ...new plugs and fuel pump last 3 months

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
I'd put the car on an obd 2 scanner that has running sensor data capability. Once you get it running, do a sensor scan while engine cold. See what data is not within spec. Do another scan when car fully warmed up to see what sensors are saying.

If you haven't a clue as to what sensor data should be, private message me with your e-mail address and I'll send you the pdf file "scanner readings and what they mean.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll hit u back and let u know! I gotta charge battery and get it crunk wife killed battery this morning! Lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK got it to crank it idles when I gave it gas it backfired and split the converter at the seam now won't crank again! Got a buddy may come by with scanner late afternoon .... Think it may have stopped up converter

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,403 Posts
How cold is a "cold morning" in Alabama these days? The PCM richens the A/F mixture and elevates the idle speed when the engine is cold, based on the coolant temp. Colder it is, the richer the mixture. A faulty coolant temp sensor can really mess things up. That's one of the places where the scanner comes in.

To test for "flooding" put the accel pedal on the floor before you turn the key to start, and hold it on the floor until the engine starts. That puts the PCM in "clear flood" mode.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts