Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am strongly considering buying a 95 firebird that suffered fire damage to the engine compartment. The current owner says they had a brand new engine put in it and on its first trip following that, one of the fuel injection lines came off and sprayed fuel on the exhaust manifold, causing a fire. A number of plastic and rubber components were damaged but the owner believes the majority of primary engine components were not significantly damaged. Here is a link to some pictures of the damage.

http://tinypic.com/m/j8cqbb/2

I am a novice mechanic with limited funds, but, assuming the damage is indeed restricted to replaceable peripheral components, I am hopeful that the repairs would be within my capabilities. My questions:

What is the likelihood that the fire could have caused serious damage that is not readily apparent and would be prohibitively expensive or difficult to repair?

Any ballpark guesses as to what I might end up spending on parts?

Can you tell me the part names of anything that clearly or likely will need to be replaced so I can research them?

I recognize you may not be able to offer much help based on the information I have, but any advice you can give would be very much appreciated. Thank you,

-Tony

·
Registered
784 Posts
gotta ask. What is the CONDITION of the rest of the car ?? interior/body/tires everything, then How much are you thinking of paying ?f the car is MINT, there is no way that cars worth more then 3-400. you are looking at A lot of hidden damage. everything plastic, fuel lines wire harnesses, belts, so much small stuff that will eat you alive. IF, you are confident that YOU can do it ALL yourself, Have availability to Every part you'll need Cheap ( all it takes is 1 part to Break the budget). Your call. It better be REAL cheap, even with a rebuilt engine, (3.4s are very cheap)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice. The rest of the car is in good condition though certainly not mint. Did you mean 400 or 4000? They are asking 1500 firm on account of the new engine costing 2k (it's not rebuilt). I'll keep looking into part costs, but if it's worth so little I'll probably have to pass.

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
Walk away from that. Drill down on Craigslist. You'll find something much nicer, much cheaper.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
There is more damage than you can see in the photos. Anything with rubber or plastic inside will likely be toast, like brake booster, master cylinder, ABS module, throttle body, etc....

Many parts will not be available except from a wrecking yard.

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
The seller of the car you looked at is unrealistic. I see it all the time. Putting $2000 or any other amount into a car doesn't make it worth 1 penny more than it's value. And $300 to $400 is what a fire damaged 95 v-6 would be worth. If car had been a trans am, I'd stretch it to $500.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts