Firebird Nation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok its time to pull the trigger

ive heard that unless you go top of the line for headers you have to beat them into place being pacesetter or ebay brands..

kookz is top of the line but what other brands are considered top of the line what about hooker? which i think is what my mechanic recommended.

for exhaust ive always heard borla was the best .. my mechanic likes magnaflow if i dont need to pay for borla id like not to

so in all what brands are up there with kookz and what are your thoughts for the best exhaust

thanks in advance

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,425 Posts
Are you interested in shorties, mid-lengths or long tubes? Since you appear to be in CA, you are limited to CARB-EO approved headers. Unless you have a "friend" that will pass you. Long tubes relocate the cat, so they are not legal in CA.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a guy but trying to get a hold of him has been different story..

if long tubes are out of the question what are my options i think kookz only has long tubes ..

i want the most power gain possible and i already know there's not much to be had just doing induction, I just want to be sure i'm getting what gains the most performance

if mid length or shorties are better which brand should i look for

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,425 Posts
I think SLP, JBA and maybe BBK made CARB compliant shorties. SLP has totally abandoned the LT1, particularly since they were bought by Roush. Used sets may be available. There is a CARB (or ARB) website that lists CARB approved aftermarket parts, but it is difficult to navigate. CARB approved headers will have a metal tag with the CARB-EO certification number, welded to one of the primaries.

Can't remember if the AS&M single cat mid-lengths were CARB approved. The are excellent. I have a set on my 800 HP LT1 stroker, although they are modified to dump the driver's side straight back, rather than wrapping around the front of the oil pan like the stock Y-pipe does.

I think your description of what it takes to fit anything other than Kook's is overdone. It's not that bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts