Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up guys,

im just wondering if the hypertech programer is worth the 100 someone wants for it. i hear its good for someone stock or with bolt ons until they need a real tune.

im all stock gonna put a 160 thermo and better wheels.. i dont see more than just bolt ons for more than a year is this a good idea or not

thanks

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,404 Posts
The Hypertech is locked to a single VIN. The only way it will work on your PCM is if the previous owner returned his PCM to the stock tune with the unit. If he didn't do that, it is worthless. I know a guy who knew how to unlock them (for $50) but I don't think he does it any more.

As far as "value" it's "Power Program" has actually been shown in a respected magazine dyno test to REDUCE HP on anything but a strictly stock, unmodifed engine. When used with a 160*F t'stat, and using the programmer to lower the fan on/off temps, you can see maybe a 10HP gain. I used it to program my 94 about 19 years ago when it was still stock (only CAI and a Borla cat-back) and could not see any improvement in 1/4-mile performance.

Useful for:
Adjusting rev limiter
Adjusting top speed limiter
Adjusting auto trans shift points
Correcting for revised tire diameter
Correcting for rear axle ratio change
Changing fan on/off temps

In my opinion, a mail order tune is a better deal. And/or TunerCATS programming software for the kind of changes described above, and actual performance tuning, like revising the PE (power enrichment) mode tables to gain 10-15 HP by leaning out the overly rich target A/F ratio at WOT.

Reactions: 94FireBird650

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank your for saving me the money i greatly appreciate it ill be messeging you in the future on what to get for my car if thats ok with you sir

·
Administrator
2,465 Posts
I used it to program my 94 about 19 years ago when it was still stock (only CAI and a Borla cat-back) and could not see any improvement in 1/4-mile performance.
I remember reading the HyperTech (and whomever elses) chip improved 1/8th mile times a little bit on a stock vehicle, but, actually made it that much slower by the end of the 1/4 mile. ...even back then (93-96ish) I remember thinking: "I'm not a ricer, I run 1/4 miles, why would I pay to make my vehicle *slower* at the track".

...nice to be reading your posts again Fred. I get to learn some more. :)

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
If you will get a cable to connect your car's aldl to usb port of a pc based computer, you can use the programm called eehack 4.0 to tune your 94 computer. Program is also a scan tool. Program and help can be obtained from author Steveo at www.ls1lt1.com.

http://www.aldlcables.com

for 12 pin cable for your 94

Also our member GaryDoug has a great scan program called "scan9495" . I've attached it to my post. Scan9495 scans for regular codes, ABS & SIR codes. It does running sensor scans and will log data to a file for playback. Also tests engine & auto trans actuators. All this for FREE.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are the best very informative and instantly willing to do drop knowledge on the new guy. I greatly appreciate everything i see my mechanic Sunday we'll see and ill go over what you guys are telling me and see what we come up with thanks again guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts