Firebird Nation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
94 Firebird, 3.4 litre engine, 163K. Ran fine, had small oil leak at filler neck. Replaced grommet, washed motor, now will only start when stone cold. If I try to start after running it, even for a short time, it is flooding out and will only start if I hold the pedal to the floor. Then it runs rich and finally will smooth out. Tested ignition module, thinking I got it wet and cracked, tests good repeatedly. Replaced coil packs, no difference. Definitely not spark related.Thoughts? Good car, want to fix...Thanks gang!

·
Administrator
3,296 Posts
Check the pcm and it's connectors. Having washed the motor, you could have got some water in the connectors. This would cause all sorts of erratic behavior.

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,404 Posts
Check the coolant temp sensor that feeds the PCM. Use GaryDoug's Scan9495 software (also a V6 version) to verify if the PCM has stored any codes and is receiving accurate input from the coolant temp sensor.

·
Ramblin' Wreck
5,080 Posts
Good chance you disturbed the connector at the ECT sensor.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gang,

Been on the road all week, but got home this morning and immediately pulled the connector. It was dry, but it has been a week. It did appear that water had gotten into it, so I put a dab of dielectric grease in, reconnected it and started the car. I let it warm up, and shut it off. Went to start it again, and.....fired right up! Did this 4 times, no issues. Thanks for the help!!!!

·
Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
14,404 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback. Glad you got it sorted out so quickly, and that we were able to help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts