Firebird Nation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 87 GTA, 350 . Car will start, run for three seconds, then shut off. A mechanic friend states the car is throwing a code that indicates it is a security issue, I.E anti theft, and the ECM is shutting off the injectors.
The car does not have a chipped key. What type of anti theft was used on this car? Is there any way to bypass the security. I find a lot of info for 88 and up with the Vat anti theft system, but nothing on 87 and prior. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Administrator
2,545 Posts
VATS/Passkey was introduced in the Corvette in '86 and the the F-body in '88. Logic says you don't have that system. However, it might be possible your '87 was near the end of that years production run and got it. Stranger things happen. It might also be possible and maybe more likely the computer was replaced with one from an '88 and the "vats bypass" method used has failed and needs redone.

Might help to know the exact code(s) being thrown. Running for 2 seconds and shutting down sure does sound like the security system, but there are other potential causes.

...tell us this, does your ignition key have the pellet on the shaft? ...and what were the codes?

Audio equipment Material property Font Electronic device Technology

·
Administrator
3,362 Posts
Does your 87 have a security light in instrument cluster? Is your 87 a car that has run before & now doesn't? Or did you just buy the car and It doesn't run? I know 88 models had vats security, but don't know if 87 had this featur

If your car has a security light, it came from factory without a chipped key. Someone who owned it before you might have added resistors of the proper resistance to the 2 small wires coming from the the ignition lock.

Vats also prevents starter operation. But in the 34 years your car has been areound, a privious owner might have bypassed that part of vats.

Go to the shoebox site to read up on vats security. Even though his site is dedicated to 4th gens, your 3rd gen uses the same vats system. www.shbox.com

# 25-27 in how to section.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VATS/Passkey was introduced in the Corvette in '86 and the the F-body in '88. Logic says you don't have that system. However, it might be possible your '87 was near the end of that years production run and got it. Stranger things happen. It might also be possible and maybe more likely the computer was replaced with one from an '88 and the "vats bypass" method used has failed and needs redone.

Might help to know the exact code(s) being thrown. Running for 2 seconds and shutting down sure does sound like the security system, but there are other potential causes.

...tell us this, does your ignition key have the pellet on the shaft? ...and what were the codes?

View attachment 229404
No pellet or chip on key. Not sure what exact code was. Car sat for many years in storage. Have replaced fuel tank, pump, all lines, plugs ect. It is some sort of security shut off. I know the man I purchased the car from, no modifications per him, he was original owner. He also advised car never had chip or VATS system. The mechanic friend I had look at the car is sure its security, he attempted the key on, bump starter, wait to reset procedure, did not work. I will contact him and get the code the computer threw. Thanks for your input,

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would say if your key doesn't have the pellet, you don't have a VATS system.

If you have access to the car, you could buy a code reader for cheap and get the code yourself to troubleshoot.

Also, do you have the security light on the dashboard? that's a way to know if you have a VATS system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts