Firebird Nation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys, I recently just bought my great uncle's 86 firebird that hes owned since 88 and hes "getting to old to work on it" and occasionally the cel will come on, I've read the codes and I'm getting error code 31, 32 and 44 and I've looked them up and tried researching it but havent had much luck on finding a solid answer and code 31 is really stumping me, I've owned 3rd gens before and got into building turbo cars so when a code says something about a wastegate on a non turbo car it really confused me馃槀 I also know it cant be the gear position switch since it's a factory t5 car and I can only assume the lean reading is from a faulty o2 sensor so any help is appreciated!馃

Registered
code 31 comes up as a evap purge soleniod 32 comes up as a barometric sensor a lean code could mean a vac leak or fuel prob or faulty sensor

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
code 31 comes up as a evap purge soleniod 32 comes up as a barometric sensor a lean code could mean a vac leak or fuel prob or faulty sensor
I'll have to check the vac lines to the evap canister and make sure they're good, they dont look shot but I've seen weirder things happen.

Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
DTC 31, when scanning a 1989 3.8L Turbo (engine code 7) is a valid code for wastegate overboost. At least according to Chilton鈥檚. Chilton鈥檚 (who knows how accurate) shows 31 as 鈥減ark/neutral switch鈥, and also as 鈥渃anister purge (volts Hi)鈥. Appears in the case of this vehicle, it would default to the canister. Sounds like an electrical problem with the solenoid or wiring, open circuit.

DTC 32 shows as 鈥淓GR failure鈥.

DTC 44 can be a faulty sensor, wiring, or an actual or 鈥渇alse鈥 lean condition causing the sensor to read well below 0.450 volts.

Reactions: 86screamingchicken

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DTC 31, when scanning a 1989 3.8L Turbo (engine code 7) is a valid code for wastegate overboost. At least according to Chilton鈥檚. Chilton鈥檚 (who knows how accurate) shows 31 as 鈥減ark/neutral switch鈥, and also as 鈥渃anister purge (volts Hi)鈥. Appears in the case of this vehicle, it would default to the canister. Sounds like an electrical problem with the solenoid or wiring, open circuit.

DTC 32 shows as 鈥淓GR failure鈥.

DTC 44 can be a faulty sensor, wiring, or an actual or 鈥渇alse鈥 lean condition causing the sensor to read well below 0.450 volts.
Thanks! Are you getting these codes directly from the Chilton manual? The code definitions I'm finding online dont match up with what you've got and the ones you're pointing out make more sense for the car. The cars been sitting for the better part of 10-15 years so I can only assume most of the old rubber lines that havent already been replaced are on their way out if not already shot. I'll see what I can do with the information yall have provided and hopefully get it running better than it already is.

Administrator
1994 Firebird Formula 381ci LT1 / TH400+GV O/D
There's some consistency in the way handled codes in OBD-1. The check on the EVAP canister purge was always based on the voltage of the purge solenoid when it was activated. There was no diagnostic based on vacuum/flow. When the Federal OBD-2 mandate in 1996 added a more rigorous diagnostic of the EVAP system, the solenoid voltage check remained, but a vacuum switch was added to set a diagnostic code if vacuum was not present when it was supposed to be, and was present when it wasn鈥檛 supposed to be. The DTC 31 definition in the Chilton's manual is definitely related to the solenoid voltage.

We have a link to several factory service manuals (FSM) courtesy of member GaryDoug. There is a copy of the 1985 FSM - free download. Hopefully it's very similar to your 1986. Worth a look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts